- 120th Street, Kirkland, WA, us
City State Entertainment is an independent video game development studio founded in March 2011, in Fairfax, Virginia, by online gaming pioneer Mark Jacobs and accomplished programmer, Andrew Meggs. Over the last few years, the studio has grown to 31 hard-working, sarcastic and politically incorrect individuals. In October 2012, they released their first game, March on Oz, for Apple's iPad. The studio embodies an “open office” collaborative process where all team members are expected to contribute to the design and the development process. The team is currently in pre-production of their second game, Camelot Unchained, a niche RvR old-school MMORPG.
City State Entertainment is eager to expand our Art team and is on the lookout for a staff technical artist to support our art and rendering team.
Role and Responsibilities:
In this position your would be working directly with artists and engineers driving the visual development of Camelot Unchained, coaching artists and other stakeholders in the latest and greatest graphical capabilities of current gen technology, and generating high quality shaders, materials, scripts, and rigs. This position will play a critical role in our art team, and have an opportunity to be a part of direction and vision, as well as lead other artists.
• Intimately familiar with physically based rendering, shaders (HLSL), and physically based material systems.
• 5 or more years in games development in a technical art role.
• Cognizance of new graphics techniques and ability to drive meaningful improvements to the overall graphical quality of the game.
• Experience working with developer to update tools and pipeline process for artists.
• Solid understanding of Substance Suite, Zbrush, and Maya.
• Experience with optimization for performant art without sacrificing visual fidelity and quality.
• Able to resolve unique technical challenges in creative and novel manner.
• Great time management and ability to work with deadlines and multiple competing priorities.
• Strong communication ability particularly between engineers and artists.
• Experience leading outsourced art staff
• Strong knowledge of the MMO industry and PC gaming industry
• Able to provide concise critique and feedback to help raise other artists skill level.
• C++ or engineering experience not necessary but would be a bonus.
• Understanding of the process of rigging and animation creation, as well as animation techniques.
Note: City State Entertainment is hiring for a broad range of positions on a growing team. We have definite skill and task needs, but the eventual division of tasks within the team will depend on the eventual team members. If you’re an outstanding and talented individual whose qualifications fall halfway between two of our listings, we’d still like to hear from you. All candidates must have excellent written and verbal communication skills and be able to work on-site at our Washington DC-area office or our Seattle, Washington satellite office in the U.S.A. We are an emphatically equal-opportunity employer.