- Bothell, Bothell, WA, United States
City State Entertainment is an independent video game development studio founded in March 2011, in Fairfax, Virginia, by online gaming pioneer Mark Jacobs and engineer extraordinaire, Andrew Meggs. Several years later, our Seattle studio was founded and is run by another extraordinary engineer, George Davison. The studio embodies an “open office” collaborative process where all team members are expected to contribute to the design and the development process. The team has built a next-generation engine tentatively titled the "Unchained Engine" which is powering their two games in development - Camelot Unchained, a niche RvR old-school MMORPG (currently in Beta) and Final Stand: Ragnarok, a PvE looter-slasher in which teams of any size fight against hordes of NPCs (currently in very Early Access on Steam).
City State Entertainment is eager to expand our Art team and is on the lookout for a staff technical artist to support our art and rendering team.
Role and Responsibilities:
In this position your would be working directly with artists and engineers driving the visual development of Camelot Unchained, coaching artists and other stakeholders in the latest and greatest graphical capabilities of current gen technology, and generating high quality shaders, materials, scripts, and rigs. This position will play a critical role in our art team, and have an opportunity to be a part of direction and vision, as well as lead other artists.
• Intimately familiar with physically based rendering, shaders (HLSL), and physically based material systems.
• 5 or more years in games development in a technical art role.
• Cognizance of new graphics techniques and ability to drive meaningful improvements to the overall graphical quality of the game.
• Experience working with developer to update tools and pipeline process for artists.
• Solid understanding of Substance Suite, Zbrush, and Maya.
• Experience with optimization for performant art without sacrificing visual fidelity and quality.
• Able to resolve unique technical challenges in creative and novel manner.
• Great time management and ability to work with deadlines and multiple competing priorities.
• Strong communication ability particularly between engineers and artists.
• Experience leading outsourced art staff
• Strong knowledge of the MMO industry and PC gaming industry
• Able to provide concise critique and feedback to help raise other artists skill level.
• C++ or engineering experience not necessary but would be a bonus.
• Understanding of the process of rigging and animation creation, as well as animation techniques.
Note: City State Entertainment is hiring for a broad range of positions on a growing team. We have definite skill and task needs, but the eventual division of tasks within the team will depend on the eventual team members. If you’re an outstanding and talented individual whose qualifications fall halfway between two of our listings, we’d still like to hear from you. All candidates must have excellent written and verbal communication skills. While we prefer candidates who can work on-site at either of our Washington DC/Seattle area offices in the U.S.A. Due to COVID-19, all employees are currently working remotely for the time being. Candidates who are hired as "remote only" team members will not ever be required to relocate to either area. We are an emphatically equal-opportunity employer.