Engineering Technician/Senior Engineering Technician
- 501 Poli St, Ventura, CA 93001, USA
Under general supervision, performs a variety of paraprofessional office and field engineering work in one of the following areas: capital improvements (design), construction and survey, land development, traffic engineering, water and wastewater, or street maintenance services.
This classification is flexibly staffed and the position may be filled at either level depending on the qualifications of the incumbent and the staffing needs of the city.
Engineering Technician: is the entry-level class in the flexibly-staffed Technician series, performing a variety of more routine paraprofessional field engineering work that is narrower in scope than that of the Senior Engineering Technician. Engineering Technician is distinguished from the Engineering Aide by the latter's performance of routine engineering-related work requiring no prior experience. Engineering Technician is flexibly staffed and may advance to the Senior Engineering Technician level without a competitive selection process, based on the department's staffing needs and the employee's individual capabilities to perform the full range of duties.
Senior Engineering Technician: is the journey-level of the series. Incumbents perform the full range of duties of the class, and are responsible for analysis and interpretation of data and regulations. Appointment to Senior requires that incumbents perform substantially the full range of duties. This is not an advanced journey-level or lead classification.
Examples of Duties:
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Performs plan checks of projects of private developers in public rights-of-way to ensure compliance with City-imposed development conditions and municipal code provisions.
- Calculates and collects fees for encroachment permits, water and sewer connections, meter installations, oversize vehicle permits, and contributions to assessments; performs title searches, and researches rights-of-way and easements based on legal descriptions.
- Prepares plans and specifications for construction of public works projects; researches project design requirements; prepares estimates of time and materials costs; and makes field checks of project sites or survey area to verify survey results or features.
- Collects and analyzes field traffic data and prepares reports of findings; maintains computerized records on speed survey, volume count, traffic flow, accidents, signals, signs, and stripping data.
- Performs field surveys, including operation of instruments and calculations of elevations, distances and grid coordinates; and maintains field notes.
- Responds to inquiries from developers, contractors, and the general public regarding City requirements relative to the construction, alteration and maintenance of public works facilities; and coordinates office and field engineering tasks with other City departments.
- Trains, coordinates, and leads other technicians and aides in the work of the unit.
- Prepares, updates, files, and retrieves a variety of maps, plans, construction drawings, layouts and visual aids from design sketches and/or survey notes to produce finished drawings using computer aided drafting and design (CADD) systems such as AutoCAD; and enters data in a variety of engineering databases.
- Collects and analyzes information related to the City's water, wastewater and recycled water systems. Maintains electronic computer records showing the locations of water valves, fire hydrants, meters, manholes, pipelines and other Ventura Water assets. Utilizes Geographic Information Systems (GIS) to prepare maps and exhibits.
- Performs other related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES
Knowledge of: engineering office practices including record keeping; methods and materials used in the construction of public works and utilities facilities; principles, methods and equipment used in drafting work, including CADD, GIS, and other technical engineering software applications; principles, methods and equipment used in GIS applications; principles and uses of algebra, geometry, and trigonometry; and survey methods and practices.
In addition, Senior Engineering Technician requires knowledge of: policies and regulations governing the construction, extension, operations and maintenance of systems and facilities associated with the area of assignment.
Ability to: read and interpret engineering drawings; prepare correspondence; solve problems; establish and maintain working relationships with staff, developers, contractors, and the general public; interpret standard plans, specifications, survey notes, and statistical information and apply them to specific cases; and use personal computer applications.
In addition, Senior Engineering Technician requires ability to: perform complex engineering calculations; direct and participate in traffic engineering studies; prepare specifications; and perform independent technical research within area of assignment.
License: Depending on assignment, possession of a valid California Class C driver's license may be required.
Certificate: When assigned to the Construction and Survey Division, possession of a valid Land Surveyor-in-Training (LSIT) certificate is desirable.
Engineering Technician: A combination of education, training and experience equivalent to completion of high school supplemented by college level courses in computer-aided drafting, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), engineering, or mathematics, and one year of experience in drafting, surveying or another area specifically related to civil or traffic engineering are required. An Associate of Arts in an engineering-related field is preferred.
Senior Engineering Technician: In addition to the requirements of Engineering Technician, 18 months of paraprofessional engineering experience equivalent to that of an Engineering Technician with the City of Ventura is required.
To view benefits, please visit https://www.jobapscloud.com/VEN/sup/bulpreview.asp?R1=19&R2=K62&R3=001
Environment: works indoors with some exposure to the outdoors; and may drive a vehicle to different locations.
Physical Abilities: hearing and speaking sufficient to exchange information in person or on the telephone; vision sufficient to read computer screens and printed documents; hear in the normal audio range, with or without correction; audio-visual discrimination and perception for making observations; sits, walks and stands for prolonged periods of time; uses hands to handle, feel, or operate equipment including personal computer; mental capability to use and apply mathematical reasoning and abstract statistical concepts.
Hazards: exposed to traffic and to computer screens.
Submit a City application and supplemental questionnaire by the filing deadline. The preferred method of application is on-line. If you are unable to apply electronically, you may request paper application materials by calling (805) 654-7853 during regular business hours. Paper applications can be FAXed to (805) 648-4467, or mailed, or hand delivered to City Hall at: 501 Poli Street, Room 210; Ventura, CA 93002. If you FAX, it is highly recommended that you also send the original documents. The Eligibility List established may be used to fill other regular and temporary vacancies at the discretion of the City.
Department Selection Interview
A select number of candidates will be invited to a department selection interview being held in November 2019, date to be determined.
The City of Ventura is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We promote equal employment opportunity to all qualified applicants without regard to age, race, color, religious creed, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, and military and veteran status.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), if you need an accommodation in a selection process, please notify the Human Resources Department in writing by the final filing date of the position you are interested in. The Human Resources address is: 501 Poli Street, Room 210, Ventura, CA 93001, (805) 654-7853.