Superintendent, Public Works
- Merritt, BC, Canada
Merritt is centrally located and nestled in the beautiful Nicola Valley. Our strategic orientation is to pursue growth as a progressive, attractive, economically viable city that is socially responsible and environmentally sustainable. Our strength comes from our skilled and dedicated employees and together, we continue to build an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the diverse voices of our employees. It fuels our innovation and connects us closer to the community we serve.
Our Public Works team delivers essential services to the community that we all rely on as part of our daily lives and to maintain the City's infrastructure for these services. The team is responsible for solid waste collection (garbage, recycling and compost), street signs, snow removal, maintaining our parks, the cemetery and airport. They are responsible for the City's sidewalks and road systems, ensuring we have clean and safe water, they maintain the system of underground pipes to collect sewer and wastewater and respond to emergencies at all hours such as water leaks.
The Superintendent is responsible to lead and manage the day-to-day operations of the Public Works division, ensuring the safe and efficient delivery of quality services.
As the Superintendent, you will manage all aspects of operations including staffing, scheduling, budgets. You will deploy work plans, manage contracts, ensure compliance with government regulations, City Bylaws and policies, the health and safety program and other relevant legislation.
Reporting to the Department Head, you will lead, plan and direct the Public Works team by providing guidance direction and support to the working Foremen. You also build effective relationships with the team and provide coaching, guidance, feedback, learning and development opportunities as well as performance management for all employees so that the department is well positioned to meet operational objectives.
In collaboration with the Department Head, you will shape key operational priorities for the department and develop operational plans and strategies, based on Council’s direction. With your strong communication and interpersonal skills, you will build relationships with various internal and external stakeholders and collaborate cross-functionally to plan for a sustainable future and solve complex challenges.
This is a multi-faceted role, perfect for a leader with deep industry knowledge, charisma and sound judgment, who knows how to flexible and adaptable in a rapidly changing environment while leading and inspiring others.
- A civil engineering diploma or degree from a recognized post secondary institution supplemented by a Certificate in Public Works Supervision or successful completion of Level 2 of the Public Works Supervisor Program from the Canadian Public Works Association of British Columbia.
- A minimum of 5 years’ recent related municipal experience in all areas of Public Works operations along with knowledge of best practices, industry standards, relevant technology and legislative and regulatory requirements impacting Public Works operations inclusive of 3 years of progressive leadership/management experience preferably in a unionized and/or local government setting.
- An equivalent combination of experience, education and training may be considered.
- Proven ability to manage resources effectively and strong business acumen.
- Strong people leadership skills, an effective communicator with the ability to engage and motivate a diverse team, leading by example.
- Demonstrates working knowledge and application of values, attitudes and behaviours that support and foster a safe and healthy workplace culture.
- Demonstrate critical thinking and sound professional judgement when solving complex issues.
- Proficient computer skills and ability to use Microsoft Office suite to produce a variety of charts and reports. Familiarity with GIS and other related software is an asset.
- The successful candidate will be required to obtain and maintain a satisfactory police information check and hold a minimum Class 5 Drivers’ Licence as a condition of employment.
Join Our Team
It is an exciting time to be a part of our team! We’re looking for people to bring creative ideas, fresh thinking and motivation to join the City of Merritt leadership team. We offer competitive compensation along with comprehensive benefits for health, vision dental, group insurance, pension and well-being and meaningful work in a respectful environment.
If your previous experience has prepared you for success in this role and you are committed to working in a manner that supports a respectful, healthy and safe environment, we invite you to apply.
We are actively recruiting on this position and in order to be considered, please apply today! We thank all applicants for their interest, however; only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Follow us on Facebook, Linkedin and Twitter, for City of Merritt news, career opportunities and upcoming events!