Parks Maintenance Grounds Keeper 1
- 3820 Freeman Rd E, Fife, WA 98424, USA
City of Fife
5411 23rd St. East, Fife, WA 98424
To be considered for this job opportunity you must complete an online application through NEOGOV on our website http://cityoffife.org/jobline.
The City of Fife is the Northern gateway to Pierce County, Washington. Fife offers a small-town feel and big-city ideas. Conveniently located between Seattle-Tacoma International Airport and the Port of Tacoma, the City covers roughly 5.7 square miles of land between the Puyallup River and Puget Sound. Once a small farming town, Fife has grown into a hub of community, industry and retail opportunities.
The City of Fife is currently recruiting for two Parks Maintenance Grounds Keeper 1 positions.
Under the general supervision of the Parks Facilities Operation Supervisor, and may receive maintenance training from a Parks Maintenance Worker in a higher classification. Work is initially reviewed for adherence to instructions, quality of work, and skill demonstrated. Positions in this classification are responsible for initially performing manual tasks in a limited variety of occupational areas including horticulture, grounds maintenance, equipment operation, small engine repair and equipment/facility repair. As experience in the various occupational areas is gained, the scope of the occupational areas and the degree of skill increase. Employees are expected to function effectively and cooperatively as a member of a crew. Assignments are usually given in the form of detailed instructions as to what and how tasks are to be performed. The work requires the safe operation of hand, power and automotive equipment to avoid injuries to the employee, other employees, the public and damage to City equipment, facilities and structures. Duties require interacting with the public in a pleasant and courteous manner. Work is performed outdoors in a variety of weather conditions or inside depending on the assignment and the season of the year. Physical strength, agility, eye/hand coordination, normal vision and depth perception are required to perform duties.
- Learn to design and assist in the construction and maintenance of areas of landscaping.
- Operates hand, power and automotive equipment to mow lawns exercising safety precautions to avoid obstacles and people.
- Learns the proper methods of installing and maintaining irrigation systems.
- Inspect parks and remove debris and obstructions manually and mechanically.
- Empty trash cans.
- Inspect play equipment and perform routine maintenance.
- Mow turf using riding and walk behind mowers.
- Edge, trim and maintain planter areas, structures and pathways.
- Abate graffiti and repair vandalism.
- Clean restrooms.
- Trim trees and bushes.
- Fertilize, aerate, top dress and thatch park areas.
- Perform light repair/maintenance on small engines.
- Paint and repair park equipment.
- Clean, drag, rake, chalk and set bases for ball field areas.
- Assist in operating, testing, trouble shooting and repairing automated manual irrigation systems.
- Apply fertilizers and pesticides.
- Assist in preparing facilities and setting up and taking down equipment for park and recreation programs and events.
- Performs other related work as assigned.
Any combination equivalent to: graduation from high school or equivalent and one year of paid work experience performing grounds maintenance activities, or any combination of experience, education and training that would provide the level of knowledge, skills, and abilities required. Experience performing a broad range of horticultural, landscaping, and building maintenance preferred.
Valid Washington driver's license. Must be 18 years of age or older to operate maintenance equipment. Possession of, or the ability to obtain, a valid basic First Aid and CPR certification card. Must have a good driving record. Must be able to acquire a certified pesticide applicator license within one year of employment.
To be considered for this job opportunity you must complete an online application on our website at http://cityoffife.org/jobline.
To be considered for the opportunity please include:
1. A detailed chronological resume; and
2. Cover letter detailing how your education and experience has prepared you for this position.
For more information and a full job description, please visit our website.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
THE CITY HAS A TOBACCO AND DRUG-FREE WORK ENVIRONMENT