POLICE OFFICER **GA P.O.S.T. Certified and Non-Certified
- 101 W Lamar St, Americus, GA 31709, USA
The City of Americus is a local municipal government that serves a population of 17,041, with 150 full time and 12 part time employees. We are an innovative, clean, and safe city where our citizens enjoy a good quality of life. We are committed to creating an outstanding level of opportunities for our diverse population, and to also provide quality governmental services, cultivate economic development, and promote quality jobs and successful businesses.
NOTICE: To be considered for this position, you must complete and submit an official City of Americus Application for Employment, along with other items as required. Instructions on HOW TO APPLY are listed below.
The City of Americus is seeking qualified P.O.S.T. Certified AND Non-Certified candidates to fill the position of Police Officer. The salary for this position is $ 34,308.00 annually ($15.34 hourly)
**Current P.O.S.T Certified Officers: P.O.S.T. certified candidates with 3+ years of proven experience as a Police Officer, working with a City of comparable population, can make an additional 3% in pay.
**Non-Certified Applicants: This position is also open to non- P.O.S.T. certified candidates. We will sponsor you to go to the Academy, providing successful completion of all background screenings.
Responsibilities of this position are to provide protection of life and property, enforcement of federal, state and local laws, response to emergency situations, investigation of criminal activity, and specialized duties within an assigned division/unit.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Resumes will not be accepted without an application. An application, along with instructions may be obtained from the City’s website www.americusga.gov or the Human Resources Department, third floor of the Municipal Building, 101 West Lamar Street, Americus, Georgia 31709.
- Must pass and maintain Georgia Peace Officer certification (current valid certification is a plus);
- Must possess and maintain a valid Georgia driver’s license; Must be a U. S. Citizen.
- Must be 21 years of age (birth certificate required);
- Must possess a high school diploma or GED; supplemented by 5 months previous experience and/or training involving law enforcement or security work; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for this job;
- Must possess Compass Test Scores
- Must pass an extensive background investigation including a pre-employment drug screen; Previous drug use may be a disqualifying factor;
- Must be able to work a 12 hour shift including on-call status, nights, weekends, holidays, court dates and possible overtime;
- Georgia Police Work Keys Certificate scoring 3 or above on workplace observation and listening for understanding (a plus). This test is given at South Georgia Technical College in Americus, GA. (For more information or to view a sample of the work keys test please visit www.act.org, click on Products>ACT Work Keys>Job Seeker;
Benefits package includes:
*Take-home car program for qualifying officers.
* 24 / 7 No Cost City Employee Gym Access; No Cost Access to GSW Fitness Classes and Workout Facilities;
* Wellness Program through Corporate Health Partners
*Health, Dental, Vision and City paid Life Insurance;
*Excellent defined benefit retirement plan, fully vested after 5 full years of employment;
*Optional 457b employee contribution deferred compensation retirement plan;
*Combined Employees Credit Union;
*Paid vacation, 10 holidays, sick leave, birthday leave and 3 personal days annually;
*OJT Training for Veterans
*Police Officers Annuity Benefit Fund
EEOC: The City of Americus is an equal employment opportunity provider, regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other class protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, the City of Americus will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.