Data Science Analyst
- 301 W Bay St, Jacksonville, FL 32202, USA
A career at Citizens is unlike a career at any other insurance company, because Citizens is unlike any other insurance company.
If you are looking for an opportunity in which you can stretch to your full potential, expand your knowledge and grow your career, you have found it. Winner of the 2017 WorldatWork Seal of Distinction, one of only seven companies throughout Florida to receive this award, Citizens is a diverse team of professionals helping people and communities throughout Florida.
At Citizens, employees do more than live up to their potential – they exceed it. So what are you waiting for? Come discover the career you never expected – at Citizens.
Citizens Property Insurance Corporation was created by the Florida Legislature in August 2002 as a not-for-profit, tax-exempt, government entity. Citizens’ customers include Florida business and condominium owners, as well as Florida property owners who come to Citizens seeking coverage. Citizens is funded by policyholder premiums and, additionally, if its surplus is depleted in the wake of a particularly devastating storm or series of storms, Florida law requires Citizens to levy assessments on most Florida property-casualty insurance policyholders until any deficit is eliminated.
These financial responsibilities drive Citizens’ Special Investigations Unit’s (SIU) commitment to finding ways to more quickly identify and more effectively fight insurance fraud. In order to do this, Citizens’ SIU is committed to building the strongest, most innovative and most talented investigative and analytical teams. This requires that we recruit high achievers who thrive in an environment that emphasizes individuality, respect, growth, and ownership, and where the best ideas—even if new or untried—are the ones that make it to the top. As a part of the Citizens’ SIU team, you will be recognized and rewarded for your talents and outstanding performance, dedication, and loyalty.
SIU ANALYST, DATA ANALYTICS TEAM – Jacksonville office position
Citizens Property Insurance Corporation’s SIU is currently looking for an Senior SIU Analyst to work on our Data Analytics team. The Data Analytics team discovers and communicates meaningful patterns in data with the purpose of drawing conclusions to make informed investigative actions and management decisions. SIU Analysts support basic and major investigations that span all aspects of insurance operations (i.e., claims, underwriting, vendor relations, and agent services), in support of the identification and investigation of suspicious property insurance claims, and act as a resource for senior management. The ideal candidate is an independent self-starter with advanced analytical experience in data modeling, data analytics, and predictive modeling who will thrive in an innovative, collaborative environment. The position is located in the Jacksonville office with the potential for occasional overnight travel.
· Models ethical behavior and executes job responsibilities in accordance with Citizens core values, ethics, and information protection policies
· Conducts data gathering assignments; Plans, designs and develops ad hoc query and data mining of insurance claims, policy, agency and payment records using available tools and internal data warehouse, including quality assurance of data.
· Reconcile, interpret and analyze moderate to highly complex internal and external data sets to support decision making and detect potential fraudulent trends and patterns involving Citizens’ claims and policies.
· Summarizes and provides independent objective appraisals of analytical findings using innovative and high-quality data visualization and presents recommendations of results to individual contributors and management.
· Collaborates with business units across the enterprise and self-initiates designs and implements statistical/predictive models and uses cutting edge algorithms to assist with detection of potential fraudulent activity.
· Participates in the creation and delivery of fraud awareness training to Citizens’ employees, business partners and other stakeholders as necessary to facilitate the identification and referral of potentially fraudulent insurance acts to SIU.
· Researches, evaluates and recommends business solutions that may include software procurement, internal application development and changes to the scope of vendor services.
· May coach, counsel or train less experienced staff; may also direct the work and activities of others, provide input in the Performance Management goal setting and review process.
· May participate in catastrophe response, including deployment to remote offices and/or extended hours for extended periods of time.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
· Advanced SQL query tools or similar software such as Oracle, SAS, SPSS, R.
· Working knowledge of advanced visualization techniques using Tableau, Power BI, etc.
· Demonstrated knowledge of IT audit, data analytics as well as investigative processes and methodologies.
· Advanced, demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills.
· Ability to work independently and take initiative and to interact with all levels of management.
· Advanced Project Management skills.
· Ability to communicate highly technical topics to non-technical insurance professionals. Ability to resolve conflicts and create rapport with business partners.
· Advanced Microsoft Office Suite skills.
· Advanced quantitative, analytical, data-analytics and data mining skills, problem solving, negotiation and organizational skills.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
· Bachelor’s Degree (Actuarial Science, Mathematics or Statistics, ACAS, FCAS) OR 4 years relevant experience, OR a combination of college education and relevant experience equivalent to 4 years
· 7 (seven) years of experience quantitatively analyzing detailed data and/or data analytics, data warehousing or data mining knowledge of advanced statistical techniques and concepts.
· Advanced proficiency with SQL query tools or with similar software tools such as Oracle, SPSS, SS, R, etc.
· Advanced proficiency with Visualization tools such as PowerBI, Tableau.
· Knowledge and experience in statistical and data mining techniques, querying databases and visualizing/presenting data for stakeholders.
· 7 or more years of experience quantitatively analyzing detailed data and/or programming experience in the Property Insurance Industry.
· Master degree in quantitative field such as Statistics, Economics, Engineering, Actuarial Science or related field or Master degree in Information Technology.
Requires the ability to sit for long periods of time listen and converse over the telephone and frequently type on a computer (4 or more hours per day).
In addition to a competitive salary, Citizens offers its employees an outstanding total rewards package, including:
Retirement savings plan with an 8 percent company match
Medical, dental and group life insurance
Paid time off: vacation, sick and holiday leave
Professional and leadership development opportunities
Flexible work schedule
On-site wellness activities
Employee recognition programs
Relocation assistance (where applicable)
Community and volunteering opportunities
Casual dress and more
Citizens is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.