General Manager - The Rec Room South Edmonton
- 1725 99 St NW, Edmonton, AB T6N 1K5, Canada
Life at Cineplex:
Cineplex is synonymous with entertainment. Known as Canada’s largest and most innovative film exhibitor, we’re so much more than movies – operating The Rec Room, Canada’s favourite destination for ‘Eats & Entertainment’ and Playdium, specially designed for teens and families.
At Cineplex, change and disruption are nothing new. Infusing innovation into everything we do has fueled our evolution as a fully-integrated, diversified and growing organization with exciting career opportunities in our locations and corporate functions. Grow with us and explore roles in operations, food services, hospitality, digital commerce (CineplexStore.com), digital (Cineplex Digital Media) and cinema media (Cineplex Media), consumer loyalty (SCENE), finance, human resources, technology, amusement solutions (Player One Amusement Group), and more.
Proudly recognized as having one of the country’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures, we rally behind our values of Teamwork, Innovation and Excellence.
We are creative, curious and love thinking big. The next evolution of Cineplex starts here, with you.
Learn more about our businesses through the links below.
Inclusion & Diversity
Cineplex is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We encourage and welcome applications from all intersectional walks of life. The collective sum of our individual differences, experiences, knowledge, innovation, self-expression, unique capabilities, and talent represents a significant part of our culture. By valuing a diverse workforce, we enforce hiring practices that are fair and equitable.
Do you have a passion for new and exciting nationwide business ventures? Would you love to be part of a team that’s expanding from coast to coast in Canada? Do you want to play a crucial role in changing the landscape of entertainment in Canada? Now that I have your attention and have peaked your interest – let’s tell you a bit about this revolutionary new concept called The Rec Room.
The concept features a wide range of entertainment options: a large attractions area featuring state of the art simulation games, redemption gaming for prizes, and a variety of recreational games including luxury bowling, billiards, shuffleboard and ping pong. There is an auditorium-style venue offering live entertainment – musical acts, bands and comedians – and also features a theatre-sized, high definition screen for catching the game or watching a wide range of other entertainment programming. The Rec Room offers an upscale casual dining environment, featuring an open kitchen and a contemporary menu offering everyone’s favourites, as well as an “eatertainment-style” concept in the games area. A large centre bar area with adjacent stage includes impressive digital displays and serves as the gathering spot for watching the big game or other major events. The Rec Room integrates a cutting-edge interactive technology platform that enhances all aspects of the entertainment experience.
Cineplex Entertainment, headquartered in Toronto, Ontario, is currently recruiting for the position of General Manager – The Rec Room South Edmonton, reporting to the Executive Director. This position will be based at The Rec Room South Edmonton located at 1725 99 Street N.W, Edmonton, AB T6N 1K5..
The General Manager (GM) shall work to ensure The Rec Room policies, procedures and standards are being followed and adhered to within their assigned venue. Responsibilities shall include the protection of Company assets, people, inventory and facilities, as well as the planning, evaluation and monitoring of operations, merchandise and financial areas within multiple departments to maximize sales and profitability. The GM will manage and take primary accountability for the profit and loss performance of the venue against budget.
The General Manager is expected to professionally execute all company programs, supporting the operation of the business; reduce employee turnover; maintain revenue and payroll budgets; and meet budgeted productivity while keeping quality and service consistently high. It is important for the General Manager to have both a vision and the ability to maintain a culture of hospitality and positive morale, and a focus on building the bench-strength of their management compliment by providing coaching and feedback.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Understand and effectively follow all Rec Room values, policies and procedures.
- Protect and enhance the Rec Room brand.
- Practice and role model Company culture.
- Interview, recruit, train and coach venue management, and proactively plan for succession.
- Conduct regular meetings with Department Managers to provide feedback, set goals and evaluate performance.
- Work with Department teams to execute employee training and development strategies.
- Understand and implement appropriate disciplinary action for performance and behavioral management.
- Evaluate and take action to improve location turnover and increase employee morale by creating a supportive employee centered environment.
- Plan, evaluate and monitor operations, merchandise, and financial areas within multiple departments to maximize sales and profitability through the efficient execution of Company programs and the maintenance of Company standards.
- Manage sales, staffing and operational budgets and plans to ensure profitability.
- Provide counsel and facilitate resolution of barriers to location performance and guest service standards.
- Evaluate practices and procedures on an ongoing basis and provide recommendations to the ED to optimize for changing business needs.
- Ensure all Managers, Players, and Administrators adhere to all cash handling policies and procedures.
- Share Best Practices across departments to increase performance levels and guest satisfaction.
- Evaluate operations standards daily and establish improvement plans for approval by ED.
- Ensure execution excellence of Groups & Events across all venues.
- Ensure implementation of Marketing collateral and activations and ensure compliance.
- Manage the inventory and shrinkage of all departments.
- Maintain communication between venue and ED/Support Centre.
- Document and communicate progress to ED.
- Accurately and efficiently maintain assigned records, Company funds and property in accordance with Company policies and procedures.
- Ensure fair and equitable discipline, in compliance with The Rec Room Discipline policy and severity table, implementing appropriate action(s) for performance and behavioural management.
- Investigate and action the causes of staff concerns.
- Ensure all Player, Manager and departmental scheduling requests are addressed and communicated in a timely manner.
- Maintain a working knowledge of all statutory regulations affecting restaurant health and safety, and ensure that any safety hazards are identified and rectified.
- Achieve operational objectives of all Rec Room areas by preparing and completing action plans, implementing productivity and quality measures, and standards of service.
- 5+ years of experience managing a high volume restaurant or venue with full Profit and Loss accountability.
- Post-Secondary education, in business and/or hospitality preferred.
- Multi-outlet F&B management experience would be considered an asset.
- Experience in all aspects of customer service and people management.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and direct multiple teams.
- Strong working knowledge of restaurant industry principles, methods, practices, and techniques.
- Ability to supervise employees, including organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- Ability to analyze and interpret the needs of customers and offer the appropriate options, solutions, and resolutions required.
- Exceptional conflict resolution, negotiation, and objection handling skills.
- Ability to respond quickly in a dynamic and changing environment.
- Highly flexible, with strong interpersonal skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse working environment.
- Proven experience in training, coaching, and mentoring managers and employees.
- Ability to build and maintain lasting relationships with corporate departments, key business partners, employees, and guests.
- Knowledge of cost analysis, fiscal management, and budgeting techniques.
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to coordinate and organize meetings, exhibits, and other events.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Required to work flexible hours inclusive of evenings and weekends.
- Some travel may be required.
- Ability to attend and conduct presentations.
- Standing for extended periods of time.
- Exposure to hot grill or oven with temperatures as high as 350-500EF.
- Exposure to walk-in refrigerator with temperatures as low as 40ºF.
- Exposure to walk-in freezer with temperatures as low as 0ºF.
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals.
- Extended hours as required.
Interested applicants, please apply today.
While we appreciate all interest, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. As part of Cineplex Entertainment’s standard recruitment process, suitable candidate(s) will be required to undergo pre-employment screening as a condition of employment or promotion.
No Agency Calls Please
LANG: EN #CB