Chef – Playdium, Dartmouth
- 21 Cabela Road, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
Cineplex is one of Canada’s leading entertainment and media company, Cineplex (TSX:CGX) is a top-tier Canadian brand that operates in the Film Entertainment and Content, Amusement and Leisure, and Media sectors. As Canada’s largest and most innovative film exhibitor, Cineplex welcomes 70 million guests annually through its circuit of 165 theatres across the country. Cineplex also operates successful businesses in digital commerce (CineplexStore.com), food service, alternative programming (Cineplex Events), cinema media (Cineplex Media), digital place-based media (Cineplex Digital Media), and amusement solutions (Player One Amusement Group). Additionally, Cineplex operates a location based entertainment business through Canada’s newest destination for ‘Eats & Entertainment’ (The Rec Room), and will also be opening new complexes specially designed for teens and families (Playdium) as well as exciting new sports and entertainment venues in communities across the country (Topgolf). Cineplex is a joint venture partner in SCENE, Canada’s largest entertainment loyalty program.
Proudly recognized as having one of the country’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures, Cineplex employs approximately 13,000 people in its offices across Canada and the United States and we offer competitive compensation, incentive and benefits programs. To learn more visit Cineplex.com or download the Cineplex App.
Do you have a passion for new and exciting nationwide business ventures? Would you love to be part of a team that’s set to expand from coast to coast in Canada? Do you want to play a crucial role in changing the landscape of entertainment in Canada? Now that I have your attention and have peaked your interest – let’s tell you a bit about this revolutionary new concept called Playdium.
The new Playdium is 30,000 square feet of games and food for teens, kids and families to explore, connect and play. Featuring state of the art Virtual Reality, video and redemption gaming for prizes, and a variety of recreational activities like rope courses and bowling – Playdium will be an unbeatable amusement and gaming experience. Perfect for groups of friends and families to engage in friendly competition, celebrate special occasions or simply hang out. Featuring fresh food options at a sit-down family restaurant, and fast casual dining, both accommodating for all types of occasions.
Cineplex Entertainment, headquartered in Toronto, Ontario, is currently recruiting for the position of Chef – Playdium, Dartmouth, reporting to the General Manager. This position will be based at our Playdium, Dartmouth located at 21 Cabela Rd, Dartmouth, NS B3B 0P4.
The Chef is responsible for delivering memorable food experiences for our guests by coordinating, supervising and directing all aspects of culinary operations, while maintaining high quality menu options and service levels. The Chef is expected to recruit, develop and schedule culinary staff, maintain appropriate inventory and supply levels, and ensure menu items are prepared in an efficient manner. The Chef is further required to ensure the safe and healthy preparation of meals and sanitation techniques at all times to avoid cross-contamination and the spoiling of food product.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
Culinary Management, Operations, and Health & Safety
- Oversee all culinary operations and staff ensuring healthy and safe work practices.
- Comfortable speaking in front of a medium sized group articulating the food concepts at Playdium.
- Order inventory and culinary supplies, ensuring sufficient stock levels.
- Establish, implement and communicate menu recipe requirements.
- Ensure the safe storage and disposal of food and beverages.
- Ensure any food returned to the culinary team is accounted for and disposed of as waste.
- Ensure that checklists and line checks are completed as directed by Company policy, and records are verified and archived.
- Ensure preparation and cooking stations are well stocked.
- Escalate and document any repairs or maintenance required for culinary appliances and equipment.
- Maintain a working knowledge of all statutory regulations affecting restaurant health and safety, and ensure that any safety hazards are identified and rectified.
- Ensure all proper sanitation and preparation practices and procedures are executed.
- Negotiate, contract and oversee all outside facility contractor functions.
- Negotiate, contract and oversee all outside repair and maintenance functions.
- Ensure inventory price and product availability issues are communicated as needed to the management team.
- Maintain inventory controls for proper levels, dating, rotation, requisitions, etc.
- Other duties assigned as required.
- Recruit, interview, train and coach culinary team and proactively plan for succession.
- Ensure all culinary employees are engaged by recognizing staff, resolving concerns and fairly managing employee performance.
- Understand and implement appropriate disciplinary action for performance and behavioural management.
- Schedule culinary staff in accordance with business demands and trends.
- Ensure all Player and departmental scheduling requests are addressed and communicated in a timely manner.
Policy Adherence, Brand, & Procedures
- Understand and effectively follow all Playdium values, policies and procedures.
- Protect and enhance Playdium brand.
- Practice and role model Company culture.
What You Need
- Secondary School Diploma or GED required.
- Previous experience managing a large culinary team in a high volume, fast paced environment.
- Knowledge of cost analysis, fiscal management, and budgeting techniques.
- A valid Food Handler’s certificate is required.
- Required to work flexible hours inclusive of evenings and weekends.
Who You Are
- Ability to supervise employees, including organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and direct a team.
- Ability to respond quickly in a dynamic and changing environment.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
What Sets You Apart
- Post-Secondary diploma in Business Management, Culinary Arts or Hospitality considered an asset.
- 3-5 years' Management experience as a Chef in a high volume kitchen is preferred.
- Red Seal inter-provincial culinary certification considered an asset.
- Smart Serve certification considered an asset.
- Manual dexterity required to operate various culinary appliances and equipment.
- Interacts with employees, management and the public at large.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Standing and walking for long periods at a time.
- Irregular shifts; evenings and weekends may be required.
- Noisy and fast-paced environment.
- Extended hours may be required.
- Some travel may be required
- Ability to attend and conduct presentations
- Exposure to hot grill or oven with temperatures as high as 350-500EF
- Exposure to walk-in refrigerator with temperatures as low as 40ºF
- Exposure to walk-in freezer with temperatures as low as 0ºF.
Cineplex is committed to improving access and opportunities for all individuals, including those with disabilities by identifying and removing barriers that may prevent, inhibit or restrict their access to employment opportunities. If you require accommodation at any stage of our hiring process (application, interviews, assessments, and placement), please contact us at 416-323-6600 or via email at [email protected].
Interested applicants please apply today.
While we appreciate all interest, only those candidate selected for an interview will be contacted.
No Agency Calls Please