Manager, Commercial Law (13 Month Contract)
- 1303 Yonge St, Toronto, ON M4T 1X3, Canada
Cineplex (TSX:CGX) is a top-tier Canadian brand that operates in the Film Entertainment and Content, Amusement and Leisure, and Media sectors. A leading entertainment and media company, Cineplex welcomes over 70 million guests annually through its circuit of theatres and location based entertainment venues across the country. In addition to being Canada’s largest and most innovative film exhibitor, Cineplex also operates successful businesses in digital commerce (CineplexStore.com), food service, alternative programming (Cineplex Events), cinema media (Cineplex Media), digital place-based media (Cineplex Digital Media), amusement solutions (Player One Amusement Group) and an online esports platform for competitive and passionate gamers (WorldGaming Network). Additionally, Cineplex operates location based entertainment complexes specially designed for teens and families (Playdium) as well as Canada’s favourite destination for ‘Eats & Entertainment’ (The Rec Room), and will be opening exciting new sports and entertainment venues across Canada (Topgolf). Cineplex is a joint venture partner in SCENE, Canada’s largest entertainment loyalty program.
Proudly recognized as having one of the country’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures, Cineplex employs approximately 13,000 people in its offices across Canada and the United States. To learn more visit Cineplex.com or download the Cineplex App.
Cineplex is seeking a Manager, Commercial Law to join its legal team for a 13-month contract to cover a maternity leave. Based in Toronto, the individual will report to the Director, Legal Counsel and will be responsible for managing non-litigious commercial matters, primarily of a contractual nature. The Manager, Commercial Law will provide expert legal advice, risk assessments and recommendations to Cineplex’s business and functional units in conducting commercial negotiations, drafting and reviewing commercial contracts. The Manager, Commercial Law will provide guidance on Cineplex’s day-to-day business operations in order to ensure compliance with Cineplex’s contractual obligations.
Description of Responsibilities
- Drafting, reviewing, negotiating and advising on a wide range of commercial contracts.
- Liaising with internal and external business partners and counsel to manage the execution of commercial agreements.
- Managing corporate acquisitions and restructuring transactions.
- Providing legal advice to Cineplex’s business and functional units to ensure compliance with new and existing laws.
- Monitoring proposed legislation to provide proactive advice to Cineplex.
- Maintaining department standard-form contracts to ensure that up-to-date legal forms are in use by business and functional units.
- Assisting with maintaining corporate minute books and conducting any necessary corporate securities or regulatory filings, as necessary.
- Assisting the Chief Privacy Officer with privacy-related enquiries, compliance obligations and training to ensure compliance with applicable legislation.
- Completing such other projects and assignments as may be assigned from time to time.
Required Skills and Experience:
- LLB or JD from an accredited law school.
- Member in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario.
- Minimum of 2-3 years post-call experience at a law firm or corporate in-house legal department practicing corporate-commercial law.
- Strong understanding of corporate-commercial law, contract drafting and negotiation skills are required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to simplify complex legal concepts to provide advice in a clear and concise manner.
- Strong organizational and time management skills and the ability to multi-task.
- Experience working with the Microsoft Office suite of applications (Outlook, Excel, Word, Powerpoint).
Interested applicants, please apply today.
While we appreciate all interest, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. As part of Cineplex Entertainment’s standard recruitment process, suitable candidate(s) will be required to undergo pre-employment screening as a condition of employment or promotion.
No Agency Calls Please