Head Chef - The Rec Room Edmonton
- 1525 99 St NW, Edmonton, AB T6N 1K5, Canada
Cineplex (TSX:CGX) is a top-tier Canadian brand that operates in the Film Entertainment and Content, Amusement and Leisure, and Media sectors. A leading entertainment and media company, Cineplex welcomes over 70 million guests annually through its circuit of theatres and location based entertainment venues across the country. In addition to being Canada’s largest and most innovative film exhibitor, Cineplex also operates successful businesses in digital commerce (CineplexStore.com), food service, alternative programming (Cineplex Events), cinema media (Cineplex Media), digital place-based media (Cineplex Digital Media), amusement solutions (Player One Amusement Group) and an online esports platform for competitive and passionate gamers (WorldGaming Network). Additionally, Cineplex operates a location based entertainment business through Canada’s newest destination for ‘Eats & Entertainment’ (The Rec Room), and will also be opening new complexes specially designed for teens and families (Playdium) as well as exciting new sports and entertainment venues across Canada (Topgolf). Cineplex is a joint venture partner in SCENE, Canada’s largest entertainment loyalty program.
Proudly recognized as having one of the country’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures, Cineplex employs approximately 13,000 people in its offices across Canada and the United States. To learn more visit Cineplex.com or download the Cineplex App.
Do you have a passion for new and exciting nationwide business ventures? Would you love to be part of a team that’s set to expand from coast to coast in Canada? Do you want to play a crucial role in changing the landscape of entertainment in Canada? Now that I have your attention and have peaked your interest – let’s tell you a bit about this revolutionary new concept called The Rec Room.
The concept features a wide range of entertainment options: a large attractions area featuring state of the art simulation games, redemption gaming for prizes, and a variety of recreational games including luxury bowling, billiards, shuffleboard and ping pong. There is an auditorium-style venue offering live entertainment – musical acts, bands and comedians – and also features a theatre-sized, high definition screen for catching the game or watching a wide range of other entertainment programming. The Rec Room offers an upscale casual dining environment, featuring an open kitchen and a contemporary menu offering everyone’s favourites, as well as an “eatertainment-style” concept in the games area. A large centre bar area with adjacent stage includes impressive digital displays and serves as the gathering spot for watching the big game or other major events. The Rec Room integrates a cutting-edge interactive technology platform that enhances all aspects of the entertainment experience.
Cineplex Entertainment, headquartered in Toronto, Ontario, is currently recruiting for the position of Head Chef – The Rec Room Edmonton, reporting to the Assistant General Manager. This position will be based at The Rec Room located in Edmonton, AB.
The Head Chef is responsible for delivering memorable food experiences for our guests by coordinating, supervising and directing all aspects of culinary operations, while maintaining high quality menu options and service levels. The Head Chef is expected to recruit, develop and schedule culinary staff, maintain appropriate inventory and supply levels, and ensure menu items are prepared in an efficient manner. The Head Chef is further required to ensure the safe and healthy preparation of meals and sanitation techniques at all times to avoid cross-contamination and the spoiling of food product.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Understand and effectively follow all Rec Room values, policies and procedures.
- Protect and enhance the Rec Room brand.
- Practice and role model Company culture.
- Oversee all culinary operations and staff ensuring healthy and safe work practices.
- Comfortable speaking in front of a medium sized group articulating the food concepts at the Rec Room.
- Recruit, interview, train and coach culinary team and proactively plan for succession.
- Ensure all culinary employees are engaged by recognizing staff, resolving concerns and fairly managing employee performance.
- Understand and implement appropriate disciplinary action for performance and behavioural management.
- Schedule culinary staff in accordance with business demands and trends.
- Order inventory and culinary supplies, ensuring sufficient stock levels.
- Establish, implement and communicate menu recipe requirements.
- Ensure the safe storage and disposal of food and beverages.
- Ensure any food returned to the culinary team is accounted for and disposed of as waste.
- Maintain accurate log of food and beverage waste.
- Ensure that checklists and line checks are completed as directed by Company policy, and records are verified and archived.
- Ensure preparation and cooking stations are well stocked.
- Escalate and document any repairs or maintenance required for culinary appliances and equipment.
- Maintain a working knowledge of all statutory regulations affecting restaurant health and safety, and ensure that any safety hazards are identified and rectified.
- Ensure all proper sanitation and preparation practices and procedures are executed.
- Negotiate, contract and oversee all outside facility contractor functions.
- Negotiate, contract and oversee all outside repair and maintenance functions.
- Ensure inventory price and product availability issues are communicated as needed to the management team.
- Calculate figures for food and beverage inventory.
- Maintain inventory controls for proper levels, dating, rotation, requisitions, etc.
- Ensure all Player and departmental scheduling requests are addressed and communicated in a timely manner.
- Other duties assigned as required.
- Post-Secondary diploma in Business Management, Culinary Arts or Hospitality considered an asset.
- Previous experience managing a large culinary team in a high volume, fast paced environment.
- Red Seal inter-provincial culinary certification considered an asset.
- Secondary School Diploma or GED required.
- 3-5 years' Management experience as a Chef in a high volume kitchen is preferred.
- Ability to supervise employees, including organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- Smart Serve certification considered an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and direct a team.
- Ability to respond quickly in a dynamic and changing environment.
- Knowledge of cost analysis, fiscal management, and budgeting techniques.
- A valid Food Handler’s certificate is required.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Required to work flexible hours inclusive of evenings and weekends.
- Manual dexterity required to operate various culinary appliances and equipment.
- Interacts with employees, management and the public at large.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Standing and walking for long periods at a time.
- Irregular shifts; evenings and weekends may be required.
- Noisy and fast-paced environment.
- Extended hours may be required.
- Some travel may be required
- Ability to attend and conduct presentations
- Exposure to hot grill or oven with temperatures as high as 350-500EF.
- Exposure to walk-in refrigerator with temperatures as low as 40ºF
- Exposure to walk-in freezer with temperatures as low as 0ºF.
Interested applicants, please apply today.
While we appreciate all interest, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. As part of Cineplex Entertainment’s standard recruitment process, suitable candidate(s) will be required to undergo pre-employment screening as a condition of employment or promotion.
No Agency Calls Please