Regional Human Resources Manager – Western Canada
- TBD, Edmonton, AB, ca
Cineplex is one of Canada’s leading entertainment and media company, Cineplex (TSX:CGX) is a top-tier Canadian brand that operates in the Film Entertainment and Content, Amusement and Leisure, and Media sectors. As Canada’s largest and most innovative film exhibitor, Cineplex welcomes 70 million guests annually through its circuit of 164 theatres across the country. Cineplex also operates successful businesses in digital commerce (CineplexStore.com), food service, alternative programming (Cineplex Events), cinema media (Cineplex Media), digital place-based media (Cineplex Digital Media), amusement solutions (Player One Amusement Group) and an online eSports platform for competitive and passionate gamers (WorldGaming.com). Additionally, Cineplex operates a location based entertainment business through Canada’s newest destination for ‘Eats & Entertainment’ (The Rec Room), and will also be opening new complexes specially designed for teens and families (Playdium) as well as exciting new sports and entertainment venues in communities across the country (Topgolf). Cineplex is a joint venture partner in SCENE, Canada’s largest entertainment loyalty program.
Proudly recognized as having one of the country’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures, Cineplex employs approximately 13,000 people in its offices across Canada and the United States and we offer competitive compensation, incentive and benefits programs. To learn more visit Cineplex.com or download the Cineplex App.
Do you have a passion for new and exciting nationwide business ventures? Would you love to be part of a team that’s set to expand from coast to coast in Canada? Do you want to play a crucial role in changing the landscape of entertainment in Canada? Now that I have your attention and have peaked your interest – let’s tell you a bit about this revolutionary new concept called The Rec Room.
The concept features a wide range of entertainment options: a large attractions area featuring state of the art simulation games, redemption gaming for prizes, and a variety of recreational games including luxury bowling, billiards, shuffleboard and ping pong. There is an auditorium-style venue offering live entertainment – musical acts, bands and comedians – and also features a theatre-sized, high definition screen for catching the game or watching a wide range of other entertainment programming. The Rec Room offers an upscale casual dining environment, featuring an open kitchen and a contemporary menu offering everyone’s favourites, as well as an “eatertainment-style” concept in the games area. A large centre bar area with adjacent stage includes impressive digital displays and serves as the gathering spot for watching the big game or other major events. The Rec Room integrates a cutting-edge interactive technology platform that enhances all aspects of the entertainment experience.
Cineplex Entertainment, headquartered in Toronto, Ontario, is currently recruiting for the position of Regional Human Resources Manager – Western Canada, reporting to the Director, Human Resources for The Rec Room and Playdium. This position will be based in Alberta and will be located in Edmonton or Calgary.
The Regional Human Resources Manager (RHRM) works in conjunction with the Regional Operations Manager and Support Centre HR Leadership to drive the talent development strategy within Western Canada for existing operations and new locations. The RHRM is responsible for developing and executing a talent strategy, in partnership with Support Centre HR Leadership that supports the entire employee life cycle, including: recruiting, on-boarding, training, employee relations, employee engagement and performance management. This role coaches and mentors senior and field management roles to strengthen their overall people management skills, implement succession planning strategies and driving overall corporate strategies and objectives.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Creates a regional talent strategy in conjunction with Support Centre HR Leadership and the Regional Operations Manager in line with both the Operations and HR Strategic Plan
- Proactively addresses employee relations issues by coaching on how to investigate and address situations in adherence with applicable laws, policies and practices at Cineplex
- Provides effective coaching, counseling, progressive disciplinary strategies and documentation support on all employee relations and performance management issues, up to and including dismissals
- Partners with Regional Operations Manager and General Managers on high risk/complex employee relations issues involving written communication / discipline to ensure consistency across regions and locations
- Uses Employee Opinion Survey results to assesses overall engagement and partner with General Managers to build action plans to sustain or improve results
- Partners with Legal and Risk departments on high risk situations to ensure adherence to company policy and limit exposure
- Conducts exit interviews for all full time salaried employees and identifies themes/trends and addresses as necessary
- Manages the annual talent review process within the Region, including: identification of High Potentials, succession planning, selection, promotion and transfer of internal candidates for growth opportunities
- Actively participates in the recruitment and interview process for all full time managers, identifying core competencies and organizational fit. Partners in all final hiring decisions for management level candidates
- Aids the Regional Operations Manager and General Managers to identify internal candidates from an established talent bench utilizing talent review and performance management data
- Follows up with General Managers on all newly hired and promoted managers within their first 90 days to ensure they have been on-boarded as per the company programs
New Location Build Support:
- Conducts and provides support for hiring and training fairs for new builds to identify Front of House (FOH) and Back of House (BOH) roles
- Contributes to the creation and oversees the execution of training plans for new locations and acts as a project manager for relevant training-related activities pre and post new location build, including: guest service training, sales training, Cineplex Academy, etc.
- Works with the Support Centre HR leadership, and the Learning and Development Team to ensure appropriate identification (needs assessment) and execution of regional training and development needs
- Continuously evaluates and adjusts the training support and development provided in each location, based on key performance indicators and metrics.
- Provides support in developing and ensuring adherence to individualized training plans, including: onboarding, succession planning and talent review action plans, etc.
- Identifies key buildings to conduct Talent Strength Assessments (TSAs), providing coaching and guidance to the Management team on strengthening their overall people practices.
- 5 + years’ experience as an HR Generalist in multi-unit big box organizations, or applicable workplace
- 2-5 years of experience in employee relations, hospitality management or training with strong knowledge of full-service restaurant dining, food and beverage and/or entertainment venue operations
- Strong understanding of provincial legislation and labour standards
- Strong communication, facilitation and conflict resolution skills
- Experience with HRIS systems and strong technical abilities
- Excellent presentation and hands-on training skills
- Understanding of org structure for multi-unit big box organizations
- Willing to travel 35% of the time in times when not opening new locations
- Willing to travel up to 80% of the work week, during new build pre-opening and post-opening time periods, in support of national operations
- Willing to be away from home for 2 to 3 weeks in succession during new build and post-open training support requirement phases
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule, which includes weekends, evenings and holidays
Interested applicants please apply today.
While we appreciate all interest, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. As part of Cineplex Entertainment’s standard recruitment process, suitable candidate(s) will be required to undergo pre-employment screening as a condition of employment or promotion.
No Agency Calls Please