Chief of Legal Operations for Flash Memory NewCo
- San Jose, CA
- Position Type: Exempt
In a transaction valued at $9B, Intel Corp. is spinning-out its NAND Memory Business—which is a global leader in the design and manufacture of integrated circuits and solid-state drives (SSDs) for use in data centers, personal computers, and other devices—into an independent company that will be owned by SK Hynix. The new company will be headquartered in San Jose, California, with aspirations to conduct an IPO and become a publicly traded US company. Rob Crooke, who is the current head of Intel’s Memory Business, will be the CEO. In addition to the US headquarters and other facilities in the US, the company has a significant international presence in Asia (including China), Europe, and the Americas.
A handful of former Intel lawyers are joining the new company, and we are creating a legal department, from scratch, to support this new venture. This is an opportunity for the right applicant to join us and help design, build, and lead the new company’s legal team.
We want a team of lawyers and legal professionals who will be the strategic partners with the business. We seek applicants who will build and thrive in our culture: team-oriented, collegial, non-hierarchical, diverse perspectives, productive, and adaptable.
The newly formed company will continue to lead the world in innovating new Memory technologies and is expected to begin as the second largest NAND company in the world by revenue (over $10B annually).
Thus the new venture combines elements of an established, successful Silicon Valley technology company with the spirit, agility, and entrepreneurial mindset of a start-up.
You will report to the General Counsel and be responsible for leading all business and operational aspects of the in-house legal department, including for example:
- developing, tracking, and reporting operational metrics to the CEO and CFO.
- managing all Legal-unique IT and software systems.
- supervising the curation of legal databases and inventories (e.g. contract management; matter management).
- managing the retention of vendors including outside counsel; lead negotiations concerning same.
- managing and tracking legal budgeting and performance to budget.
- supervising eDiscovery and litigation operations.
- supervising internal communications & newsletters.
More generally, you will also have additional cross-disciplinary roles and responsibilities consistent with a senior position at a technology company.
Compensation and benefits will be competitive with the top Silicon Valley technology companies.
- Five to ten years’ experience in business operations, with preference for experience in legal operations. This includes experience and demonstrated expertise in matter management and supervising outside vendors.
- Demonstrated expertise in managing IT and software systems.
- Ability to work closely with clients to understand their business, solve their biggest challenges, and achieve their business objectives.
- Superior judgment, problem-solving, communication, and project-management skills.
- Good business sense and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Knowledge-of and skill-at Legal IT and software systems.
- Decisiveness and the ability to function independently.
- Talent for proactively anticipating the needs of the business and prioritizing among competing projects and tasks.
Flash Memory NewCo is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, or any other status protected by state or local law for an individual who falls within the jurisdiction of such law.
Flash Memory NewCo has retained Cielo to hire for this position.