Machine Operator/ Setter Operator - Fixed Term Contract 12 months
- Crewe, UK
Chromalloy is an international technology company specialized in innovative solutions in the field of gas turbine engines. Chromalloy is one of the world’s largest non-OEM providers of advanced coatings, repairs and replacement parts for gas turbine engines. We are the only non-OEM provider in the world that offers coatings, repairs, production and revision from a single source. Chromalloy is some 4000 employees strong and works on new solutions daily, for customers’ products in Aero-, Military- and industrial Gas Turbines. Chromalloy Crewe is a site with approximately 150 employees and specialises in Grinding and Machining for Aerospace and Industrial Gas Turbines.
A Setter / Operator Machinist performs complicated machining activities, using multiple critical machines within his / her area of expertise across multiple departments. Experience desirable in Grinding / EDM / DHD - 3/5 Axis Blohm Profimat/Planomat, Makino, EDM and DHD including CNC programming. It can include both part-specific work, mostly just pieces, or serial work.
- Reads (customer) documentation, drawings and understand the specifications.
- Read and understand the applicable documentation (i.e work descriptions, drawings) and regulation.
- Visual inspection of the part.
- If applicable choose needed CNC program.
- Machine-specific preparations.
- Operate multiple Conventional or CNC machines.
- Undertake the necessary operations in accordance with internal and external regulations
- Monitor progress and where necessary adjust the machine/program
- Visual and dimensional inspection of machining results using measuring tools.
- Administration of work performed.
- Identify and resolve process / production problems, including reporting.
- Identify opportunities for improvement and act on, including reporting.
- The proactive support of engineering in the design of new processes and working methods.
- Act as a troubleshooter / trainer for colleagues for all relevant machines.
- Cleaning of the workplace and implementing improvements, e.g 5S.
- Preventive maintenance.
Working in a technically and technologically-challenging environment and within a fast paced environment.
- Team player – Be able to work as a team.
- Attention to detail – Pay meticulous attention to details
- Computer literacy – Ability to operate MS Office software, CNC software
- Organisational skills – Ability to multi-task and prioritize daily workload. Ability to work with limited supervision and to tight deadlines.
- Perseverance – Pursue everything with energy, drive and a need to finish; give up seldom even in the face of resistance or setbacks. Proactive attitude and ability to act on own initiative.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience of machining desirable
- Experience working in a fast-paced production environment producing machined components to high tolerances.
- Must have the technical aptitude to understand all areas of machining including both manual and CNC processes.
- Experience of aerospace desirable.
- Must possess comprehensive knowledge of geometric tolerances as related to tool and fixture design.
- Operate, control and set up multiple machines (also programming on CNC machines).
- Machining techniques. machining processes.
- Apply measuring and adjusting tools.
- Lean manufacturing, operational excellence and modern manufacturing management processes.
- Reading drawings and planning documentation.
- Have a keen eye for detail, be able to multi-task and stay calm under pressure.
- Safety conscious and aware of warehouse and other hazards
- Have strong interpersonal and good communication skills, with the ability to communicate clearly and effectively at all levels
- Possess excellent organisation and time management skills.
- Must be able to work as part of a team, but also be able to work using own initiative whilst being able to work under pressure
- A self-motivated approach and a proactive attitude
- Engineering qualification such as BTEC/ HNC/ HND desirable
- Apprenticeship ( time served) desirable
- Previous Experience in Aerospace or Industrial Gas Turbine industry desirable
- Grinding and Machining/ EDM experience desirable
This role is additionally for 12 months, but has the potential to become permanent. Chromalloy is an Equal Opportunities employer. The role offers an 8% employer pension contribution, 33 days a year annual leave and a free cashplan healthcare scheme for all employees.