Senior Engineer (Product)
- 330 Blaisdell Rd, Orangeburg, NY 10962, USA
Chromalloy has expanded from a gas turbine parts repair business into an OEM supplier of production parts and advanced repairs and services for gas turbines used in aviation and power applications. Chromalloy serves the airline, military, marine and energy segments with a broad range of services at locations around the globe.
Chromalloy is a subsidiary of Sequa Corporation. Sequa Corporation is a diversified industrial company with operations in the aerospace, metal coatings and automotive industries. Sequa is a Carlyle Group company. For additional information, visit www.sequa.com.
Responsible for technical/production support, process/product development and optimization of Aerospace and Industrial gas turbine systems for assigned areas and its applicability to NPI, Repair and OEM businesses. Leading significant project teams producing new designs, repairs and processes; utilizing Lean tools and methodologies to positively impact the business metrics.
- Conduct design, inspections, modeling and analysis of new and repaired turbine, compressor, and combustor components
- Apply CPEX tools and concepts on product/process subsystems or manufacturing systems
- Optimize the production process, product design using a robust lean problem-solving methodology, with quantifiable impact to business metrics
- Develop KPIs to effectively manage process and product outcomes
- Utilize project management skills to lead assigned projects/programs to successful completion considering technical, budgetary, manpower and schedule requirements
- Collaborate effectively in a multi-disciplinary team environment to develop component designs and repairs; which meet site, Chromalloy and customer requirements for cost, performance, and durability.
- Engage with the other engineers at the site to collaborate on projects and development of robust solutions impacting site operational and financial performance, utilizing CPEX tools; positively impacting the end customer
- Make technical decisions on product/process design and provide definition to the team to ensure mutual success.
- Owns all technical aspects of assigned components and or processes from initial concept through all manufacturing stages.
- Identify, develop and implement tooling/equipment improvements. Troubleshoot process/production problems and implement actions/solutions, monitor sustainability of actions and report out results.
- Prepare accurate written technical reports, specifications, procedures and manuals
- Prepare and deliver presentations of work to all levels of external and internal customers
- Trains and mentors less experienced technical staff
- Work in a lab and field environments. Occasional travel required.
CRITICAL SUCCESS FACTORS:
- Develops and implements technical solutions to a wide range of difficult technical problems in a cross-functional team environment. Develops solutions that are innovative, thorough, practical, and consistent with organization objectives.
- Works independently in all aspects of role; determining priorities within assigned projects, requesting necessary resources internal and external, collaborating with peers in order to develop the designs, processes and or solutions needed to meet yearly goals and objectives
- Embrace matrix organizational structures and know how to maneuver through formal and informal channels to accomplish goals.
- Consistently leverage all CPEX tools across all aspects of the role to better the operational and financial performance of the department and site.
- Consistently demonstrates our Values, People Philosophy and Continuous Improvement Culture
- Takes ownership of commitments and consistently drives to meet objectives. Takes initiative to set goals if none are in place. Holds self and others accountable.
- Takes initiative to make recommendations and act on high impact priorities
- Strive to understand the business impact of internal projects/decisions; seek guidance from experts and other functions when making decisions with potentially high impact
- Receive and give feedback to improve self and others
- Understand direct responsibility and the role within the team; balances operational and functional priorities. Develops mutual trust with supervisors and cross-functional peers
- Understand place in the overall vision of the company and routinely asks where the business/site/function are going
8-12 years of experience in the Aerospace or Industrial gas turbine engine mechanical design discipline
BS Engineering (Mechanical or Aerospace)
- Knowledge of gas turbine design methodologies yielding cost effective, producible designs
- Knowledge of gas turbine manufacturing processes, finite element analysis, and 3D CAD modeling
- Knowledge of various measuring techniques including CMM, white-light/laser scanning, gages, ... etc. and their use in developing designs
- Understanding of aerodynamic, performance, and heat transfer disciplines
- Understanding of all aspects of airfoil manufacturing (casting, machining, ...etc.) and inspections
- Interpretation of engineering drawings and manufacturing specifications
- Knowledge of FAA guidelines for PMA and RS-DER requirements and compliance testing preferred
- Working knowledge of program management tools and skill set
- Thoughtful and effective communications skills
- Ability to read, write, and speak fluently in English
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Project
Chromalloy offers challenging assignments, great teams, development and training, and exciting opportunities to enhance your skills, abilities and knowledge.
Chromalloy maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks. Please note that depending on the specific position, you may be required to pass additional medical tests, background checks, and/or other requirements.
Chromalloy is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-Verify. It is our policy to provide equal opportunity to all employees and applicants and to prohibit any discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status. Sexual harassment, or any other kind of harassment, will not be tolerated. The foundation of these policies is our commitment to treat everyone fairly and equally and to have a bias-free work environment.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability, or a disabled veteran and need a reasonable accommodation to use or access our online system, or need to apply in an alternate way, please contact the Human Resources department at the individual business unit or annex. The telephone number for a specific business unit or annex can be found at Chromalloy Locations.