Customs & Trade Compliance Specialist
- Franklinweg 35, 4207 HX Gorinchem, Netherlands
Chiquita is a leading global company with 20,000 employees across 30 countries. We are passionate about our nutritious, high-quality, energy-rich and value-added bananas.
Chiquita's products are sold in nearly 70 countries around the world. Chiquita Brads International grows, procures, markets and sells bananas and other fresh fruits under the Chiquita brand and other names
The Customs & Trade Compliance Specialist will lead Chiquita trade compliance strategy focused on EU+ region. The specialist will provide customs compliance oversight to ensure applicable laws, regulations, and give guidance about global import / export activity. The specialist will be responsible for implementing and maintaining global policies and assisting with local or regional procedures. Actively monitors customs clearances at all European ports of entry and respective document administrative internally/externally.
Key position as an ambassador for the Trade Compliance program in EU. Will liaise with teams across the organization including but not limited to, Finance, Tax, Accounting, Supply Chain and Operation
- Provides trade compliance advisory and enforces import and export policies and standard operating procedures for EU countries to ensure compliance with local and foreign customs laws, regulations, and administrative practices
- Performs annual risk assessments and develops / executes plan for internal assessments / audits, reports back to the Senior Compliance Manager for routine monitoring and surveillance of trade activity in EU
- Conducts regular business reviews with customs agent’s providers to review metrics, business strategy, new regulations, and partner towards mutual improvements.
- Evaluates process gaps and communicates areas of non-compliance, potential compliance risks and collaborates with business partners to put corrective actions in place (cross-functional project management lead)
- Leads building of effective and sustainable trade compliance processes within the EU
- Evaluates need for customs import and export permits as needed
- Delivers training on Trade Compliance topics (including Incoterms, records keeping requirements of import / export transactions)
- Partners closely with Tax and Operations and provides strategic and operational input into the supply chain decisions
- Acts as a primary representative in Customs audits, inspections, and regulatory agency inquiries in the regional scope of responsibility
- Collaborates on establishing reporting and electronic interfaces with EU governments and customs agents and oversees data analytics strategy
- Actively monitors the external regulatory environment for new developments and policy changes in collaboration with internal teams, assesses and communicates organizational impacts
- Minimum, 10-12 years of direct experience in international trade business operations focused in customs activities in the EU (agricultural experience preferred)
- Depth of knowledge of EU import/export requirements and regulations to be shared across a variety of internal and external stakeholders including commercial, logistics providers, and internal custom resources.
- Subject matter will be “hands on" and have the ability to "think outside of the box" with regards to customs requirements managing the various processes, documentation and adherence.
- Formal training import / export compliance and certifications (customs broker relations experience required)
- Project management capabilities (incl. status updates, cross-functional collaboration, vendor management)
- Significant risk assessment and auditing experience
- Self-starter and experienced in managing assigned work independently
- Values: Integrity, Accountability, Teamwork, Innovation
- Excellent judgment and instincts in decision making
- Must be able to think critically and possess strong analytical and problem solving skills
- A combination of compliance and project management experience
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Used to cooperate with remote teams (internal / external)
- Ability to prioritize and manage time effectively
- Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree preferred
- Highly Proficient in Excel
- Fluent in English, Dutch (Spanish a plus)