Coordinator of Volunteer Engagement
- Chicago, IL
The Chicago Architecture Foundation is a nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing public interest and education in architecture and design. The Chicago Architecture Foundation presents a comprehensive program of tours, exhibitions, lectures, special events, and adult and youth education activities, all designed to enhance the public’s awareness and appreciation of Chicago’s outstanding architectural legacy.
The Coordinator of Volunteer Engagement plays a supportive role in all aspects of the CAF Volunteer Program. Primary duties include docent recruitment, administrative support for docent education program and staffing docent and VEV committees. Other responsibilities include managing Open House Chicago volunteers and volunteer administration as needed. Works directly with the Manager of Volunteer Engagement and helps to support the volunteer needs of all departments throughout the organization.
Please note: The schedule for this position is Tuesday through Saturday.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in the recruitment, training and scheduling for all of CAF’s volunteer opportunities, including docent, Visitor Experience Volunteer (VEV), Open House Chicago (OHC), Education Guides, and special events.
- Support the long-term CAF volunteer strategy and planning needs
- Attend docent training sessions and provide logistics and resources needed-in collaboration with the Docent Education committee
- Work with Group Sales team to ensure docent coverage for private tours
- Foster and maintain an effective working relationship with volunteers and staff
- Coordinate a variety of volunteer activities, including education, recognition, and social
- Assist with volunteer budget development and management
- Acts as the staff liaison for docent and VEV committees
- Document and update all policies and procedures for Volunteer Services
- Other duties as assigned
Recruitment and Onboarding
- Assist with all volunteer recruitment and interviewing including docents, VEV, education guides and OHC volunteers
- Assist in the writing of the volunteer descriptions as to the duties and responsibilities of each volunteer type
- Assist in the on-boarding of all volunteers as assigned
Education and Experience Requirement
- A Bachelor’s Degree is required; major in business administration, communications or non-profit preferred.
- 2-3 years of prior volunteer management/coordination is preferred
Skills and Attributes
- Attention to detail, strong organizational skills, and good decision-making skills
- Strong technical skills and ability to learn new software and to train other in utilizing it, including Microsoft Office Suite
- Previous experience in database management is beneficial, but not required
- Interest in Chicago’s architecture and history
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills for working with large numbers of volunteers
- Proven ability to adapt quickly to change and act with the appropriate sense of urgency, with an emphasis on proactively providing administrative support
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize multiple projects
- Strong customer service attitude with experience dealing effectively people with diverse personalities and backgrounds
- Ability to work successfully in collaborative team environments
- Self-motivated to meet assigned goals and deadlines
Chicago Architecture Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.