Program Assistant, Open House Chicago
- Chicago, IL
The Chicago Architecture Foundation is a nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing public interest and education in architecture and design. As the 6th largest cultural institution in the City of Chicago, CAF presents a comprehensive program of tours, exhibitions, lectures, special events, and adult and youth education activities, all designed to enhance the public’s awareness and appreciation of Chicago’s outstanding architectural legacy.
The Chicago Architecture Foundation is looking for an energetic, organized individual to join our dynamic Open House Chicago team. Open House Chicago is America’s largest architecture festival, a city-wide, free public event over the weekend of October 14-15 featuring behind-the-scenes access to over 200 of Chicago’s greatest places and spaces. The Program Assistant will assist the OHC team in a variety of capacities including database management, email/phone communications to OHC volunteers/sites, facilitating volunteer and site host training sessions, and recruiting/scheduling the over 1,500 volunteers that are an integral part of OHC's success.
This is a part-time, temporary position. The expected duration of the assignment is from July 1 until October 20, 2017.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direction of the Open House Chicago team, the Program Assistant will be responsible for:
- Developing and managing a databases of volunteer information and site information;
- Handling communication with Volunteer Greeters (1,600+), Site Hosts (200+), including day-to-day correspondence and large-scale announcements/assignments via mail merge;
- Oversee volunteer recruitment from Site Hosts, Corporate Partners, Community Partners, social media, volunteer organizations, posting boards and general public;
- Facilitating and staffing training sessions together with Program Manager and Program Coordinator;
- Facilitating and tracking material & signage distribution at training sessions and during drop-in hours;
- Developing and distributing volunteer training materials;
- Coordinating with Community Partners and Site Hosts to determine volunteer requirements at each OHC location;
- Scheduling volunteers and ensuring (through positive confirmations) that volunteers are aware of assignments and are committed to appearing as scheduled;
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate is:
- Organized, detail-oriented, has strong follow-through skills, and the ability to meet deadlines under pressure
- Experienced in database and spreadsheet management
- Proficient in Google Drive applications (Google Sheets, Google Forms), Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Office
- Comfortable working with external audiences and representing OHC and CAF to the public
- Experienced in learning new technology and operational protocol quickly;
- Able and prepared to work evenings and weekends in September and October, as required for training sessions.
- Available to work the weekend of October 14-15 (and the entire week leading up to that);
- Lift up to 25 lbs.;
- Positive, outgoing, enthusiastic and able communicate well with co-workers, volunteers and individuals from other organizations that make OHC possible;
- Familiar with or has participated before in OHC as a visitor or volunteer
- Excited about working with volunteers
The Chicago Architecture Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.