Senior Legal Counsel - Corporate
- CKO Department: Legal
Checkout.com is one of the most exciting fintechs in the world. Our mission is to enable businesses and their communities to thrive in the digital economy. We’re the strategic payments partner for some of the best known fast-moving brands globally such as Wise, Hut Group, Sony Electronics, Homebase, Henkel, Klarna and many others. Purpose-built with performance and scalability in mind, our flexible cloud-based payments platform helps global enterprises launch new products and create experiences customers love. And it's not just what we build that makes us different. It's how.
We empower passionate problem-solvers to collaborate, innovate and do their best work. That’s why we’re on the Forbes Cloud 100 list and a Great Place to Work accredited company. And we’re just getting started. We’re building diverse and inclusive teams around the world — because that’s how we create even better experiences for our merchants and our partners. And we need your help. Join us to build the digital economy of tomorrow.
Checkout.com is seeking a dedicated Senior Counsel, specialising in Corporate Law, to join our Legal team in New York. Located in the same office as our General Counsel, you'll be a key member of our Corporate legal team, partnering with colleagues across key business verticals (including M&A, Strategy, Treasury, Tax, Finance) to solve sophisticated legal challenges globally.
To be successful in this role, you'll be able to handle a busy workload with minimal direction, demonstrating excellent critical judgment, quick thinking, and agility across multiple countries. This is a great opportunity to work on a broad range of projects across multiple jurisdictions and play a key role in supporting the company’s rapid growth!
Our mission is to be a legal team that exceeds expectations across the board, providing pragmatic and commercially focused advice, finding creative solutions to manage risk and becoming trusted advisers to our colleagues in the business.
This is a permanent, full-time role based in our New York office.
How you’ll make an impact
- Support and lead on a variety of transactional projects, including M&A, fundraisings, VC investments, debt financings, securitisations, group reorganisations and real estate leases.
- Deal with non-transactional matters, such as employee reward, subsidiary management, IP, marketing, brand and disputes.
- Review and negotiate a variety of agreements, including commercial contracts, share and asset purchase agreements, equity subscription agreements, shareholders’ agreements, loan agreements (both intra-group and external), office lease agreements, among others.
- Liaise with and manage external counsel globally to assist with the matters above.
- Help put in place and improve existing processes & procedures to support the business and enhance efficiency.
- Help the business continue to expand internationally and provide creative, proactive and results orientated advice.
What we’re looking for
- 8+ years of experience as a Corporate Lawyer, including some portion of that time spent working as an Associate at a leading multinational law firm.
- US JD or LLM and strong academic qualifications.
- Previous experience leading on global projects and translating foreign counsel advice to senior stakeholders.
- Good standing in at least one state bar.
- Exceptional analytical and writing skills, with a business-centric focus on risk.
- Excellent time management skills and experience managing a diverse workload and competing stakeholder demands.
- Ability to work autonomously and independently with minimal or no supervision.
- To be agile as needed, flexing the approach as the matter requires.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to articulate and explain complex legal issues clearly and concisely.
- Enthusiasm for new challenges and working with a range of different stakeholders.
- Excellent level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- To be open-minded and willing to take risk-based decisions.
- Be a systemic thinker with proven abilities for process improvement and simplification.
- Flexible work schedule to accommodate international time zones.
Extra marks if you have:
- European / US capital markets experience.
- Experience working in tech (fintech, payments or e-commerce) or other fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Experience of working in-house (this could have been gained whilst on secondment).
- Experience working for a US-based company or firm.
New York City law requires Checkout.com to include in job postings a reasonable estimated salary range for this position. However, This salary range may encompass multiple career levels at Checkout and will be refined during the interview process, taking into account factors such as the candidates experience, qualification and location.
Please note that this information is provided for those in New York City only. For regular full-time employees in New York City, the estimated base salary range is from: $206,954 to $279,996.
Our competitive salaries are just one component of Checkout.com’s total compensation package. In addition, this role may include the following: annual cash bonus, equity, 401(K) plan, medical, dental and vision benefits, vacation and sick and safe time, learning days and volunteer days.
To view more details of what you can look forward to, visit our careers page: https://www.checkout.com/careers
Apply without meeting all requirements statement
If you don't meet all the requirements but think you might still be right for the role, please apply anyway. We're always keen to speak to people who connect with our mission and values.
We believe in equal opportunities
We work as one team. Wherever you come from. However you identify. And whichever payment method you use.
Our clients come from all over the world — and so do we. Hiring hard-working people and giving them a community to thrive in is critical to our success.
When you join our team, we’ll empower you to unlock your potential so you can do your best work. We’d love to hear how you think you could make a difference here with us.
We want to set you up for success and make our process as accessible as possible. So let us know in your application, or tell your recruiter directly, if you need anything to make your experience or working environment more comfortable. We’ll be happy to support you.
Take a peek inside life at Checkout.com via
- Our Culture video https://youtu.be/BEwnpHuadSw
- Our careers page https://www.checkout.com/careers
- Our LinkedIn Life pages bit.ly/3OaoN1U
- Our Instagram https://www.instagram.com/checkout_com/