- CKO Department: Legal
Checkout.com is one of the most exciting fintechs in the world. Our mission is to enable businesses and their communities to thrive in the digital economy. We’re the strategic payments partner for some of the best known fast-moving brands globally such as Wise, Hut Group, Sony Electronics, Homebase, Henkel, Klarna and many others. Purpose-built with performance and scalability in mind, our flexible cloud-based payments platform helps global enterprises launch new products and create experiences customers love. And it's not just what we build that makes us different. It's how.
We empower passionate problem-solvers to collaborate, innovate and do their best work. That’s why we’re on the Forbes Cloud 100 list and a Great Place to Work accredited company. And we’re just getting started. We’re building diverse and inclusive teams around the world — because that’s how we create even better experiences for our merchants and our partners. And we need your help. Join us to build the digital economy of tomorrow.
Checkout.com is seeking a talented Legal Counsel with a strong regulatory and payments background to join our Legal team. The Legal Counsel will be expected to advise on payments and financial services regulations and assist with interaction with Federal and/or State regulators when required. As Legal Counsel you will work closely with all areas of the business not only in our US offices but also in our London office and other offices around the globe. You will need to take a consultative and collaborative approach to solving complex legal, regulatory and business issues.
As you will be collaborating with all core functions within the company, the successful candidate will be able to handle multiple areas of responsibilities autonomously, demonstrating excellent critical judgement with hands-on approach. This is a great opportunity to work with our expanding US team on a broad range of projects across multiple jurisdictions, learn new areas of law and play a key role in supporting the company’s rapid growth. You will report into our Associate General Counsel in London.
You will be joining a high-achieving legal team in one of Europe's most valuable fintechs. Our mission is to be the best legal team in the world, providing pragmatic and commercially focused advice, finding creative solutions to manage risk and becoming trusted advisers to our colleagues in the business.
What you will be doing:
- Partner with our commercial, product, treasury, and compliance teams, acting as a real-time legal advisor to understand their needs and help find creative solutions to achieve business objectives in the US and beyond.
- Support relationships with regulators on license-related matters, with a focus on US regulators in general and US state regulators in particular.
- Review payments product structure, flows and marketing to ensure compliance with legal requirements.
- Advise on payments regulatory matters including compliance with payments laws in the US and other payments laws and related regulations across our different geographies.
- Help the business continue to expand internationally; researching and evaluating new territories and applying for new licenses or expanding existing licenses.
- Support the business with payments regulatory analysis and counseling when we launch new products or expand existing ones.
- Advise key business functions on new regulatory developments impacting our operations, products and contractual commitments.
- US-qualified lawyer in good standing with 6+ years of relevant post-qualification experience
- Understanding of legal principles applicable to payments, including the payments ecosystem (e.g., the role of acquiring and issuing banks, card networks, payment processors, gateways, etc.), regulatory and licensing strategy and execution (e.g., stored value, money transmission, compliance obligations, licensing issues) and consumer protection laws
- Previous experience supporting licensed payment entities in the US
- Previous experience at a global fintech or a bank, in the payments organization of a large marketplace/platform company, and/or achieving similar strategic outcomes for a payments organization at scale
- Willingness to be flexible with the scope and variety of projects to be undertaken in this role
- Comfort with ambiguity, constant change, and a fast-paced culture
- A practical, solutions-oriented focus to solving legal challenges
- Proactive and capable of working with minimal direction
- Excellent judgment and project leadership skills, able to handle and deliver on numerous high-priority projects concurrently
- Someone who does not settle for the status quo, but is always thinking about innovative ways of doing things
Extra marks if you have:
- Experience working internationally and on a variety of cross-border matters
- Additional language skills
- Previously worked in-house (including on secondment).
- You are open-minded, adaptable and willing to accept new challenges.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
New York City law requires Checkout.com to include in job postings a reasonable estimated salary range for this position. However, final salaries may vary subject to several factors, such as a candidate’s level, relevant experience, qualifications, skills and proficiency for the role. Please note that this information is provided for those in New York City only, and this role is open to candidates outside of New York City as well.
For regular full-time employees in New York City, the estimated base salary range is from: $165,804 to $224,323.60 USD.
Our competitive salaries are just one component of Checkout.com’s total compensation package. Additional benefits include: health, vision, dental insurance, 401k, vacation and sick and safe time, learning days and volunteer days.
To view more details of what you can look forward to, visit our careers page: https://www.checkout.com/careers.
Apply without meeting all requirements statement
If you don't meet all the requirements but think you might still be right for the role, please apply anyway. We're always keen to speak to people who connect with our mission and values.
We believe in equal opportunities
We work as one team. Wherever you come from. However you identify. And whichever payment method you use.
Our clients come from all over the world — and so do we. Hiring hard-working people and giving them a community to thrive in is critical to our success.
When you join our team, we’ll empower you to unlock your potential so you can do your best work. We’d love to hear how you think you could make a difference here with us.
We want to set you up for success and make our process as accessible as possible. So let us know in your application, or tell your recruiter directly, if you need anything to make your experience or working environment more comfortable. We’ll be happy to support you.
Take a peek inside life at Checkout.com via
- Our Culture video https://youtu.be/BEwnpHuadSw
- Our careers page https://www.checkout.com/careers
- Our LinkedIn Life pages bit.ly/3OaoN1U
- Our Instagram https://www.instagram.com/checkout_com/