Warehouse Assistant (Day Shift) - Chattanooga
- 3401 Dodds Ave, Chattanooga, TN 37407, USA
Goodwill is much more than just retail stores. For more than 90 years, Chattanooga Goodwill Industries has helped people with disabilities and other disadvantages get the training and support they need to find competitive employment in the community.
Since 1923, we’ve been in the business of empowering people through work and employment. We provide a hand up, not a handout, to people who face a variety of barriers. Challenges might be mental, physical and emotional disabilities or other disadvantages such as a lack of education or a long absence from the working world. We offer them job training and other resources they need to find and keep a job. People who come to Goodwill want to be self-sufficient members of the community. They know the sense of independence and self-worth that comes with earning a paycheck.
Funding for these programs and services comes from the sale of donated items in Goodwill retail stores; from personal, corporate and state financial contributions; and from contract labor services that Goodwill provides to businesses and government.
Goodwill is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, which means that all donations are fully tax-deductible as allowed by law. We are a member agency of Goodwill Industries International and United Way of Greater Chattanooga, and we are accredited by CARF.
- Assist with the unloading of trucks including bins, gaylords, furniture and loose items. All returned merchandise is to be sorted into the proper gaylord and labeled in a legible manner per labeling procedures.
- Maintain the warehouse in a clean and orderly fashion per established procedures, including but not limited to sweeping, mopping, and emptying trash in the warehouse, as well as keeping the building exterior and dock are free from debris.
- Operate the baler(s) in a safe and efficient manner to bale clothes, cardboard and other items as directed. All bales to be tied off and weight after completion, and the weight marked on the bale in a legible manner.
- Assist the truck drivers on the store delivery route with the loading and unloading of trucks.
- Obtain a forklift operators license per Goodwill's training program. Operators are expected to use and maintain the forklift in a safe and efficient manner. Operators are to arrange all gaylords and bales in a neat, safe, and consistent manner, and placement is to be in designated areas.
- Assist in the unloading and sorting of donation trailers into gaylords and bins. All gaylords are to be marked per the labeling procedure in a legible manner. Care should be taken to preserve donations in good condition so they may be resold. Willful destruction of donations will not be tolerated.
- Assist with the recycling operation including sorting; merchandise returns from the stores, metal, computers/computer equipment, and wire as directed.
- Assist drivers with Home Pick-Ups as well as special delivery and/or pick-up of items.
- Assist in filling the store supply orders as directed.
- Maintain a positive, helpful, and cheerful attitude at all times. Flexibility is key to the success of the warehouse assistant.
- Wear required safety equipment and uniforms at all times. Identify and report any problems, to the supervisor, with equipment or personnel that are in violation of the companies policies and/or safety procedures.
- Must be self-motivated to work independently toward agreed-upon work goals.
- MUST BE 18 YEARS OR OLDER.
- Must be able to read and write in order to complete assigned paperwork.
- Experience in working in a warehouse is preferred, but not required.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.