(Temporary) Part-time, Jeweler - Chattanooga
- 7116 E Brainerd Rd, Chattanooga, TN 37421, USA
Goodwill is much more than just retail stores. For more than 90 years, Chattanooga Goodwill Industries has helped people with disabilities and other disadvantages get the training and support they need to find competitive employment in the community.
Since 1923, we’ve been in the business of empowering people through work and employment. We provide a hand up, not a handout, to people who face a variety of barriers. Challenges might be mental, physical and emotional disabilities or other disadvantages such as a lack of education or a long absence from the working world. We offer them job training and other resources they need to find and keep a job. People who come to Goodwill want to be self-sufficient members of the community. They know the sense of independence and self-worth that comes with earning a paycheck.
Funding for these programs and services comes from the sale of donated items in Goodwill retail stores; from personal, corporate and state financial contributions; and from contract labor services that Goodwill provides to businesses and government.
Goodwill is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, which means that all donations are fully tax-deductible as allowed by law. We are a member agency of Goodwill Industries International and United Way of Greater Chattanooga, and we are accredited by CARF.
This position is responsible for sorting, cleaning and appraising jewelry and then listing to our on-line shopping site.
1. Must have experience and knowledge of collectible and vintage jewelry including: gold, silver, platinum, diamonds and various gemstones and ability to distinguish costume jewelry.
2. Employee will be required to sort, clean and appraise jewelry.
3. Must be able to make quick decisions and distinguish between jewelry that will be posted on-line or sold in stores.
4. May include minor repairs to jewelry.
4. Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
WORKING HOURS AND CONDITIONS
The position is temporary and part-time. Estimated time frame is 6 months with possible re-assignment to another position within company.
Advance supervisory approval is required to work unscheduled hours or overtime hours. Time off is limited to hours available in accordance with company policy.
The duties are performed inside the East Brainerd Goodwill store and has regulated temperatures.
The position may require some bending, lifting, stooping and possible pulling.
1. Education: High school diploma or equivalent; technical school preferred.
2. Experience: Prior experience in jewelry repair, a previous pawn broker or other jewelry profession.
3. Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of management and other employees.
4. Strong interpersonal skills.
5. Strong time-management skills.
6. Strong ability to pay attention to detail.
7. Certifications/licenses required: None.
8. Strong computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office and auction listing software. Ability to type a minimum of 25 words per minute is required.