Accounting Supervisor Trainee
- Chattanooga, TN
Goodwill is much more than just retail stores. For more than 90 years, Chattanooga Goodwill Industries has helped people with disabilities and other disadvantages get the training and support they need to find competitive employment in the community.
Since 1923, we’ve been in the business of empowering people through work and employment. We provide a hand up, not a handout, to people who face a variety of barriers. Challenges might be mental, physical and emotional disabilities or other disadvantages such as a lack of education or a long absence from the working world. We offer them job training and other resources they need to find and keep a job. People who come to Goodwill want to be self-sufficient members of the community. They know the sense of independence and self-worth that comes with earning a paycheck.
Funding for these programs and services comes from the sale of donated items in Goodwill retail stores; from personal, corporate and state financial contributions; and from contract labor services that Goodwill provides to businesses and government.
Goodwill is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, which means that all donations are fully tax-deductible as allowed by law. We are a member agency of Goodwill Industries International and United Way of Greater Chattanooga, and we are accredited by CARF.
Responsible for learning all functions of the Accounting Department to include Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable and Payroll. Will be training in the supervision of the employees in the Accounting Department. Responsible for maintaining accurate records and files for Chattanooga Goodwill, Inc. (CGI). Analyzes financial reports and records. Reviews and verifies the accuracy of journal entries and accounting classifications assigned to various records. Coordinates accounting matters with other departments, locations and stores. Uses computer to input, retrieve or display accounting information.
- Assists with the development and implementation of accounting standards and procedures to ensure uniform accounting practices, adequate internal controls, and compliance with order of regulations issued by CARF, GII, GAAP and appropriate government agencies.
- Facilitates the utilization of and adherence to the fiscal, financial and cash management policies for Goodwill.
- Prepares and maintains the Chattanooga Goodwill financial, accounting, and statistical records, including general accounting and property accounting.
- Works with department heads and others on accounting matters.
- Ensures protection for the assets of the organization through internal control and internal auditing.
- Monthly reconciliation of bank accounts
- Back up for Account Payable, Accounts Receivable, and Payroll
- Prepare journal entries as needed for maintaining accuracy of the financial statements.
- Ensures compliance with all tax reporting standards for the organization.
- Complies with the accounting related aspects of all grants and rehabilitation contracts.
- Assists with functional direction, coordination, and advice to all department heads in their accounting activities.
- Ensures that the operation of all accounting functions runs smoothly and accurately.
- Implements and maintains compliance of pertinent CARF accreditation standards for both departmental and agency requirements.
- Trains staff in matters pertaining to the department such as department analysis, reading financial statements, and procedures.
- Provides assistance to the Controller as requested and contributes to special projects as assigned.
May include other duties as assigned by senior management.
KEY KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree and/or three years of accounting experience. Supervisory experience preferred.
- Excellent computer skills, including Word and Excel in a Microsoft Windows environment.
- Projects an objective, fair and professional demeanor that exemplifies Goodwill’s Policies and Procedures.
- Ability to interpret and advise on the application of standard GAAP principles.
- Highly organized with the ability to meet deadlines is essential
- Knowledge of accounting principles and practices.
- Professional verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to motivate team and to produce accurate reports with tight timeframes and simultaneously manage several projects.
- Ability to participate in and facilitate group meetings.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.