Director, Enterprise Risk Governance
- Toronto, ON, Canada
We’re embarking on something BIG...
Central 1 is the partner of choice for financial, digital banking and payment products and services – fueling the success of businesses across Canada. With $16.9 billion in assets, we leverage our scale, strength and expertise to power progress for more than 225 credit unions and other financial institutions, enhancing the financial well-being of more than five million customers from coast to coast. For more information, visit Central1.com.
Because of COVID19, all Central1 offices are currently closed to non-essential employees. This role will see you working remotely until our offices are reopened. The timeline to reopen is still under consideration, as are our future remote working policies.
This position is open to employees across all of our office locations.
As Director, Enterprise Risk Governance you will provide strategic direction, leadership and oversight for Enterprise Risk ensuring business strategies, plans and initiatives are supported in compliance with governing regulations, internal policies and procedures. You will contribute in a leadership capacity to the evolution of risk oversight and risk reporting to Senior Management and the Board of Directors.
What you'll do:
- Lead and drive a customer focused culture throughout your team to deepen client relationships and leverage broader credit union system relationships, systems and knowledge.
- Work closely with the risk areas, business lines and corporate control functions to evolve Enterprise Risk analysis and reporting, including identification, assessment, monitoring and communication to Executive and the Board of Directors via the quarterly Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) report, including enhanced analytics, deep dive analysis and new data visualization for risk reporting.
- Lead the continued development and enhancement of Central 1’s enterprise risk management framework including the assessment of risk, identification of top & emerging risks, risk appetite, strategic and reputational risk, ensuring they are in accordance with regulatory requirements and industry best practices.
- Continue to integrate the linkage between risk appetite and strategy with risk areas and business lines.
- Lead the continued enhancement of risk governance and policy oversight.
- Lead the continued development, enhancement and facilitation of enterprise risk programs including but not limited to Change Management Risk Assessment, New Initiative Risk Assessment, Enterprise-wide Stress Testing, ICAAP and Recovery Planning.
- Identify strategic opportunities for efficiency and improved risk processes across Enterprise Risk, and lead or guide the implementation of the projects selected.
- Direct day-to-day activities in a manner consistent with the Central 1’s risk culture and the relevant risk appetite statement and limits. Communicate Central 1’s risk culture and risk appetite statement throughout their teams.
- Create an environment in which their team pursues effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas.
- Build a high performing team environment and implements a people strategy that attracts, retains, develops and motivates their team by fostering an inclusive work environment; communicating vison/values/business strategy and managing succession and development planning for the team.
- A university degree in Finance, Business Administration or a quantitative discipline is required, and a financial designation is desirable (CA, CFA, FRM).
- Deep understanding of 2nd line of defence enterprise risk frameworks.
- Exceptional verbal and written presentation/communication skills will be required. You will be required to both present to a broad range of audiences and oversee communication deliverables. You will be required to develop and maintain risk governance documents (e.g. risk policies, risk appetite statements, risk standards).
- Experience with recovery planning, stress testing programs and ICAAP programs preferred.
- Forward and independent thinking to identify emerging regulatory/industry requirements and how we can be agile in our response to them.
- Flexibility and creativity in problem solving, including strong abilities of innovation and path-finding.
- Strong ability to devise and implement operational frameworks, processes, controls and documentation
- Sound people management and leadership experience, including a demonstrated ability of influencing the actions of others within and outside of his/her areas of responsibility.
- Proven background in effectively managing interpersonal relations across functions and entities in conflicting/competing environments.
As much as we believe in working hard, we also believe in personal growth and taking time for ourselves. Accordingly, our total rewards philosophy amounts to one of the best compensation and benefits packages in the industry – from performance-based incentives and extended benefits, to training and education reimbursements and ample vacation time.
Central1 is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce by creating an environment where everyone feels like they belong and has the opportunity to be successful. We are welcoming of all applicants and we will provide an accessible candidate experience.
Reporting to: Chief Risk Officer
Date Posted: January 12, 2021
Internal Applicants must apply by: January 18, 2021