Payment Service Specialist (Wires)
- Vancouver, BC, Canada
We’re embarking on something BIG...
Central 1 is the partner of choice for financial, digital banking and payment products and services – fueling the success of businesses across Canada. With $16.9 billion in assets, we leverage our scale, strength and expertise to power progress for more than 225 credit unions and other financial institutions, enhancing the financial well-being of more than five million customers from coast to coast. For more information, visit Central1.com.
Because of COVID19, all Central 1 offices are currently closed to non-essential employees however the role of Payments Services Specialist is considered essential to our business and is required to be on site. Rest assured, we have put measures in place to protect the safety and well-being of our employees.
As a Payment Services Specialist, you will perform various clerical duties involving the initiation, processing, reconciliation, balancing, settlement, tracing, and investigation of items where the processes are more complex and dollar values are high. You will follow various policies, procedures, industry rules, risk controls, financial limits, and confidentiality/security requirements and provide customer service to credit unions and external clients by responding to queries and assisting with problem resolution.
Who are you:
You are organized, detail oriented and are able to multitask effectively. You enjoy analyzing large amounts of data and processing it. You are motivated by solving problems, collaborating with others and continuously learning.
What you'll be doing:
- Undertake various duties relating to the processing of domestic and international wire transfers and other related matters
- Responding in a timely and courteous manner to verbal and written requests from credit unions, other financial institutions, corporate clients, suppliers, and Central 1 employees for information and assistance in initiating transactions, resolving discrepancies, preparing adjustments and dealing with other related problems
- Prepares and provides detailed information to sending and receiving financial institutions and prepares necessary forms for any charges
- Provides direction to credit union staff regarding the most suitable methods for processing transactions
- Processes incoming and outgoing transfers of funds, respond to trace requests, and keeps all financial institutions aware of status and any issues that need to be dealt with
- Reviews documents, variance reports, and other information, analyzes unusual situations, traces items, and investigates and resolves problems.
- Prepares debit/credits for posting to credit union accounts; balances daily transactions and posts to appropriate general ledger
- Acts as intermediary were required between credit unions, other centrals, external clients, and other financial institutions to process and settlement various items and recall any required payments
- Maintains databases, logs, records, and statistics, and prepares summary reports for information, billing, and other purposes
- Assists with testing of software upgrades and improvements to processing
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of CPA rules, FINTRAC reporting, Proceeds of Crime and Anti Money laundering and terrorist Financing Legislation, and Central 1 processes and standards applicable to the work
- Performs other duties in the department as necessary to meet critical production deadlines
What you'll bring:
- 3+ years of related experience in a financial institution.
- Sound knowledge of inter-institutional money transfer systems, automated Funds Transfer systems, financial systems, settlement processes between financial institutions, and CPA rules related to the work
- You have a Community College diploma in business or related discipline, including courses in accounting and personal computer applications, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Sound knowledge of computers including word processing, spreadsheet and database programs
- Ability to analyze data, interpret reports and use sound judgment in troubleshooting and resolving complex problems
- Strong analytical, problem solving, organizational, and time management skills
- Strong customer service, communication, and interpersonal skills and excellent command of the English language
- Ability to multi-task, effectively deal with conflicting priorities, work to strict deadlines, and function effectively in a team environment
- Desire to learn and understand new processes
As much as we believe in working hard, we also believe in personal growth and taking time for ourselves. Accordingly, our total rewards philosophy amounts to one of the best compensation and benefits packages in the industry – from performance-based incentives and extended benefits, to training and education reimbursements and ample vacation time.
Central 1 is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce by creating an environment where everyone feels like they belong and has the opportunity to be successful. We are welcoming of all applicants and we will provide an accessible candidate experience.
Reporting to: Team Lead Electronic Funds Transfers, Payment Operations
Date Posted: October 7, 2020
Location: Vancouver, BC