Java Developer Team Lead
- Vancouver, BC, Canada
We’re embarking on something BIG...
Central 1 is the partner of choice for financial, digital banking and payment products and services – fueling the success of businesses across Canada. With $16.9 billion in assets, we leverage our scale, strength and expertise to power progress for more than 225 credit unions and other financial institutions, enhancing the financial well-being of more than five million customers from coast to coast. For more information, visit Central1.com.
Because of COVID19, all Central 1 offices are currently closed to non-essential employees. This role will see you working remotely until our offices are reopened. The timeline to reopen is still under consideration, as are our future remote working policies.
You're someone who embraces change and loves to jump in and take ownership of delivering results. As a Java Developer, you will join a highly motivated and experienced team in a multi-year program to build the next generation of our core banking system that will impact Credit Unions across Canada, affecting millions of Canadians in their banking.
We're an open-source environment using Java, Spring, Linux, among others, in our tech stack.
What you'll do:
- Write great code
- Understand business problems we've solving and technical issues to find new solutions
- Participate in code reviews and business/technical discussions
- Contribute to daily/weekly agile ceremonies
- Design and complete complex software enhancements proficiently with a high level of quality
- Facilitate the delivery of the solutions through release management
- Provide technical guidance and mentorship to more junior staff
Who are you:
- You have a university degree in computer science or software engineering (or equivalent) and 5+ years of relevant experience in software engineering
- Experience with leading a small technical team
- A strong level knowledge of Java and its ecosystem, with backend Java development experience including multi-threading and concurrency, TCP and experience of the web, enterprise application development, tiered application design, and microservices
- Knowledge of frameworks/technologies such as Spring Framework (Boot, Cloud), Hibernate/JPA, Microsoft SQL Server, Kafka, Python, JUnit, REST, JSON, HTTP.
- Knowledge of version control systems and continuous integration systems (Git, Bamboo, SonarQube).
- Skills to dig into challenging technical problems and large/complex codebases without getting stuck
- Strong business acumen
- Banking experience
- Familiar with agile/scrum software development methodology.
- Experience with DevOps tools
- Some front-end development experience with AngularJS.
- Willing to ask/pull people for information and help
- Bring a sense of humor
As much as we believe in working hard, we also believe in personal growth and taking time for ourselves. Accordingly, our total rewards philosophy amounts to one of the best compensation and benefits packages in the industry – from performance-based incentives and extended benefits, to training and education reimbursements and ample vacation time.
Central 1 is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce by creating an environment where everyone feels like they belong and has the opportunity to be successful. We are welcoming of all applicants and we will provide an accessible candidate experience.
Reporting to: Director, Corporate IT
Date Posted: September 16 2020
Internal candidates must apply by: September 23, 2020
Location: Vancouver, BC or Toronto, ON or Mississauga, ON