Senior Project Manager (12 month term)
- Vancouver, BC, Canada
We’re embarking on something BIG...
Central 1 is the partner of choice for financial, digital banking and payment products and services – fueling the success of businesses across Canada. With $16.9 billion in assets, we leverage our scale, strength and expertise to power progress for more than 225 credit unions and other financial institutions, enhancing the financial well-being of more than five million customers from coast to coast. For more information, visit Central1.com.
The Senior Project is responsible for successfully delivering business outcomes for Central 1s projects of significant size, complexity, longevity and impact, a diverse range of stakeholders, and significant risk. Working with internal stakeholders, vendors, and cross-functional team members, the candidate will successfully drive the project to completion. The project manager will provide leadership and coaching support to the team and will be accountable for the overall integrity and coherence of the project by effectively coordinating inter-dependencies. Working in an Agile environment or Hybrid Agile environment the ideal candidate is a problem solver, is proactive in driving the project, has the ability to identify issues related to major software development projects and implementations in a heavily regulate industry, ideally Financial Industry.
What you'll do:
- Lead the overall execution and ensure successful project delivery meeting the required standard of quality.
- Manage project scope, timeline and budget within agreed tolerances throughout the lifecycle of the project and adjust project plan in consultation with stakeholders as required in order to meet objectives.
- Assign work and provide instructions, advice and direction to the project teams.
- Employ and adhere to the processes and procedures stipulated for all phases of project work and create Project Change Requests to seek approval.
- Ensure project transition and handover activities upon project completion are planned and implemented as agreed, and in consultation with Central 1 PMO, client and production support and other relevant stakeholders
- Superior vendor management skills to align with Central 1 and Project objectives.
- Proactively identify potential risk events and issues before they occur so that proper mitigating strategies can be developed.
- Articulate and prioritize issues and risks to senior management and Executive leadership team and recommend mitigation strategies for decision makers.
- Provide timely project reporting for senior management.
- Able to use a consultative approach when structure of execution or process is not obvious.
- Able to lead and work with cross-functional teams across the organization.
- A university degree in computer science, management or an IT related discipline
- At least 10 years experience managing large projects or programs, working on projects in accordance with standard project management methodologies and best practices.
- Program Management certification (MSP®, PgMP® or equivalent) – nice to have
- Project Management education and PMP / PRINCE2 certification is preferred.
- Experience with large and complex finance/banking IT system programs such as banking host conversions is desirable
- Experience with system infrastructure and performance and managing IT risks desirable.
- Thorough understanding of Agile as well as Waterfall and Hybrid SDLC principles to support the delivery of complex technical solutions
- Knowledge of LEAN methodologies and experience using LEAN tools to add increasing value is desirable
- Knowledge and experience working with organizational business processes; ideally in banking or other regulated industry.
- Working knowledge of change management practices to ensure success
- Strong leadership, interpersonal and communication skills
- The ability to create a sense of community amongst the members of the project teams
- Good knowledge of techniques for planning, monitoring and controlling programs
- Good understanding of the procurement process including negotiation with third parties
- Good knowledge of program and project management methods
- Good knowledge of budgeting and resource allocation procedures
- Seniority and credibility to advise project teams on their projects in relation to the program
- The ability to find ways of solving or pre-empting problems around people, process and technology
- Understanding and usage of project management principles, methodologies, tools and techniques.
- Excellent client management skills including ability to challenge, drive towards outcomes and to effectively raise or escalate issues as needed to resolve.
Provides leadership to project team members or more junior Project Managers.
Reports to a Director who provides priorities, general guidance and support. The incumbent is expected to function with a high degree of independence, exercise sound judgment and discretion in making decisions, manage resources and coordinate activities in a cross-team environment.
*Unsolicited resumes from vendors will not be accepted for this or any position at Central 1*
**If you have issues or questions about the application process, please email [email protected] with a description of your problem**
Posted: Feb.5, 2020
Reports to: Program Director
Duration: 12 month term