- Troy, MI
The physicians and staff of the Center for Digestive Health specialize in gastroenterology, which covers all aspects of the digestive system. Our specialty includes diagnostic endoscopic procedures and ultrasounds, liver disease studies, reflux diagnosis and management, and motility studies.
We are dedicated to conducting the highest quality of clinical research, while offering to our patients an option to participate in some of the nation's leading and innovative gastrointestinal research studies.
· Works under the direction and supervision of the Registered Nurse
· Consistently demonstrates technical skill, initiative, accuracy and good judgement
· Compliance with the policies and procedures of MEC
· Demonstrates proficiency in the cleaning, disinfection and maintenance of endoscopes and all accessory equipment used in the Endoscopy Center
· Demonstrates a working knowledge of the basic anatomy of video scopes and how they are used and operated
· Adheres to the Scope Cleaning policy of MEC
· Processes equipment with care to prevent damage and to maintain quality and prolong usefulness
· Maintains automatic scope washer per policy
· Prepares “table top” with all required equipment for scheduled procedure
· Transports soiled equipment from the procedure room to the decontamination area
· Adheres to Universal Precautions when cleaning and disinfecting endoscopes and accessories
· Restocks supplies as needed
· Reports equipment malfunctions to the Lead Endoscopy Technician
· Trouble shoots equipment or scope malfunctions as reported by user
· May administer throat spray and inject saline or dye through an injection needle under the direct supervision of a physician
· Assists with patient care under the direct supervision of an RN
· Prepare specimens accurately and documents properly in the patient’s medical record and pathology requisitions, when indicated.
· Maintains refrigerator and scope maintenance logbooks
· Responds to all codes and/or disasters
· During Code Red, assists with transporting or evacuating patients
· Maintains current CPR certification
· Pursues continuing education as offered through in-services and seminars
· Provides instruction on the cleaning and disinfection process of scopes to all new personnel
· Attends and participates in staff meetings
· Participates in Quality Improvement activities
· Demonstrates excellent customer (patient, visitor, physician, co-worker) service by speaking politely and clearly, offering assistance by answering questions courteously and taking appropriate action to resolve problems
· Respects patient confidentiality
· Uses tact and courtesy under stress
· Makes timely decisions and chooses effective solutions
· Shows up to work as scheduled.
· Uses good judgment
· Channels suggestions, criticisms and questions to the appropriate individual(s)
· Completes annual safety and infection control training
· Reviews Policy & Procedure Manual and SDS book annually
· Takes appropriate and immediate action to resolve unsafe acts or conditions
· Demonstrates good organizational skills
· Readily adapts to change
· Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills
· Able to withstand regular recurring periods of standing, walking, bending, stooping, lifting and stretching
· Performs other duties as directed by Clinical Coordinator and/or Float Nurse
· High School graduate or equivalent
· Previous experience as an Endoscopy Technician or Certified Nurse Aide, preferred
· Current CPR certification
In accordance with HIPAA, this position must maintain the confidentiality of the patient in all circumstances as well as company confidentiality. Ensures the confidentiality of data collected and stored is maintained.
This description is intended to provide basic guidelines for meeting job requirements. Responsibilities, knowledge, skills abilities, and working conditions may change as needs evolve.
The Center provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
The Center complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.