Operations Manager, Customer Relations
- 4646 40th St NW, Washington, DC 20016, USA
The Center for Applied Linguistics is a nonprofit organization promoting access, equity and mutual understanding for linguistically and culturally diverse people around the world.
The mission of the Center for Applied Linguistics (CAL) is to promote language learning and cultural understanding by serving as a trusted source for research, resources, and policy analysis. Through its work, CAL seeks solutions to issues involving language and culture as they relate to access and equity in education and society around the globe.
**Applicants must submit a Résumé and Cover Letter to be considered for this position.**
This is a hybrid remote role that requires some on-premise work in the Washington, D.C. office. Due to this, candidates must reside within the DMV area (DC/Maryland/Virginia). 80% of work is remote, 20% is performed on-site.
The Operations Manager position supports all operations related to sales, product, and customer support, as well as business development of English language proficiency tests that are owned and sold by CAL. These tests, BEST Literacy and BEST Plus, are two Adult English language assessments developed by the Center for Applied Linguistics (CAL) and used by adult English as a Second Language (ESL) programs, community colleges, and/or other organizations providing English education services to immigrant populations. This position is responsible for the supervision of one Customer Support Assistant and reports to the Director of Operations of the Language Assessment Division. This position works collaboratively with other functional departments at CAL, including fulfillment, communications, and test development.
- Manage the sale and distribution process for CAL’s adult English language assessments.
- Implement and manage customer support process for test users.
- Responsible for hiring, training, and managing CAL’s Assessments Customer Relations team, including staff and consultants.
- Create, document, and implement processes and workflows to improve team efficiency.
- Create escalation schedule for all operations and customer issues and serve as the point of escalation and back up for customer support line.
- Collect, compile and analyze customer data.
- Log customer questions and needs, and compile FAQ sheets.
- Coordinate with Operations specialist to ensure customer requests fulfillment, monitor sales, and inventory, and update online store.
- Update, develop and facilitate workshops and webinars related to BEST Products.
- Nurture relationships with the existing customer base and identify potential new customers.
- With the support of the Director of Operations, develop a strategy for BEST Products sales growth.
- With the support of the Directors of Operations and Communications develop and execute customer outreach and communication strategies.
- Manage test information, including email campaigns and website updates.
- Represent BEST Products at external conferences and meetings.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree (BA/BS) and 4+ years of relevant experience.
- Experience with or knowledge about adult ESL education in the U.S.
- Experience with facilitating online workshops.
- Experience with sales and marketing of educational products.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite and Advanced Proficiency with Excel.
- Knowledge of Square Space or similar CMS software preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including courteousness and tact.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to work both collaboratively and independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to be detail-oriented, with a high degree of organization and accuracy.
- Ability to complete assigned tasks and make routine decisions without immediate supervision.
- Familiarity with and shared passion for CAL’s Mission and Core Values.
Minimum Salary: $69,064 Annually
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT STATEMENT
The Center for Applied Linguistics (CAL) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, CAL complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
CAL expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of CAL employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.