- Pack Ln, Basingstoke, UK
- Service type: MAT School
- Pay scale: Zone 3 Grade D
- Department: The Coppice Spring Academy
- Pay zone: Zone 3 - Rest of England (excluding NE)
- Contractual type: Term time only – full time – fixed term
The Catch22 Multi Academies Trust is the vehicle for our sponsorship of an expanding number of academies focusing on learners who can benefit from small, supportive alternative education provision.
The Coppice Spring Academy is a social, emotional and mental health school which offers full time education and therapeutic support to 80 children aged 10 to 16 years old. Pupils will be referred to the school by the local authority as part of their duties to arrange SEN provision.
Where you fit in
The key function of this role is to supervise whole classes during short-term absence of teachers. When there are no lessons requiring cover, Cover Supervisors are expected to use their initiative to support teaching/learning throughout the school by undertaking tasks in various areas of the school, such as:
Lessons/enrichment activities, Registration, PHSE activities, School day trips, Examination invigilation and support.
Main Duties & Accountabilities
Cover Supervisors give instructions for a lesson as provided by a teacher. They are expected to:
- Register and manage students throughout the lesson in accordance with the school rules
- Be responsible for the delivery of the cover lesson work as supplied by the class teacher or Head of Department – guiding the students through the work while offering assistance and support
- Use school technology to further enhance the lesson
- Provide feedback to Cover department on cover work and behaviour of students.
The post holder will be required to respond to pupil’s general questions but will not be expected to undertake any planning, preparation, delivery or assessment of pupils’ progress and/or development.
Pupil behaviour management
The Cover Supervisor will ensure the good behaviour of the pupils and make sure the pupils engage in the learning activity. They will provide feedback to the teacher on broad issues such as behaviour.
Be responsible for the registration of students at the beginning of the day in accordance with the school rules. Deliver any form notices and information to these students as necessary and attend assembly if required.
Undertake any necessary training in order to be available to invigilate both internal and external examinations as required, and provide support to the Exams team where necessary.
PHSE/School trips Cover supervisors may be required to help in PHSE delivery or to accompany students and teachers on a school trip.
To undertake all administration tasks as directed. To take part in whole school INSET activities to enhance job effectiveness.
- Act as role model; champion Catch22 and the Education directorate’s vision and values.
- Comply with Catch22 policies and procedures including safeguarding, child protection, health and safety, data protection and confidentiality.
- Undertake personal and professional development activities and liaise with other staff so knowledge and best practice can be shared.
- Any other duties that may reasonably be required to deliver this role.
- NVQ Level 3 or equivalent qualification or experience
- Good numeracy/literacy skills
- A robust knowledge of behavioural techniques and theories and their application.
- Understanding of principles of child development and learning processes and, in particular, barriers to learning
- Knowledge of the statutory requirements of equal opportunities, discrimination, health and safety, safeguarding and child protection.
- Working knowledge of national curriculum and other relevant learning programme
- Full working knowledge of relevant policies/codes of practice and general awareness of relevant legislation
- Experience of working with our cohort of young people including those with complex, high behavior and additional learning needs.
- Extensive behaviour management experience with students who have complex needs and extreme behaviour.
- Ability to plan, with support, effective action for pupils at risk of underachieving
- Ability to work effectively with students with complex needs
- Necessary skills to manage classroom activities and the physical learning spaces safely
- Have the ability to work calmly under pressure and have the ability to adapt quickly and effectively to changing circumstances/situations
- An ability to use own initiative, work independently, motivate and inspire with a creative approach to problem solving
- Organise and keep effective records
- Ability to raise self-esteem in children
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to manage your time effectively.
- Flexible creative and adaptable approach.
Salary: Grade D (£20,319 - £27,939 per annum FTE)
Contract: Term Time Only 39 weeks per year, 37 hours per week - Fixed Term until 31/08/2022 (with a view to permanent)
Contract start date: As soon as possible, subject to clearances.
Interviews will be arranged as suitable candidates are identified, so early application is strongly advised.
Catch22 MAT is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff, volunteers and other third parties to share this commitment. Safer recruitment practice will be followed and pre-employment background checks will be undertaken before any appointment is confirmed. The post is subject to an enhanced DBS check.
Working Conditions include:
- Working with children 11 – 16 years old
- Children with special needs and/or who demonstrate challenging behaviours
- Verbal abuse and/or aggression
- Physical Behaviour Management Techniques
- Lone Working
See the benefits of working for Catch22 here.
Unless otherwise stated, interviews will be arranged as suitable candidates are identified, so early application is strongly advised.
At Catch22 we value equality, diversity and inclusion. We are wholeheartedly committed to the principle of equality of opportunity, both as an employer and as a provider of services. Diversity and Inclusion is part of what we do every day, working to deliver our vision to build a strong society where everyone has good people around them, a purpose, and a good place to live.