Storage/Backup QA Test Engineer
- C-3, 101, Saudamini Complex, Paud Road, Right Bhusari Colony, Pune, Maharashtra, India
Catalogic Software helps organizations worldwide catalog, protect, and manage their data. We are committed to delivering the industry's most intelligent copy data and data protection solutions.
This job description covers our product ECX. See the link above for high-level details on this product.
This is an individual contributor role.
A background in Storage, Backup products, or Data Protection work is required. Submissions lacking this experience will be passed over. Although not required, we have a strong preference for people having recent Oracle experience, RAC setup, etc.
Ideal candidates will have 4-5 years experience, will have experience QA testing storage platforms or backup & recovery products, and hands-on experience with virtualization technologies, Linux, Windows.
The QA Test Engineer role fulfills the bulk of our organization’s daily Quality Assurance testing needs. This role is involved in a number of key responsibilities that include but are not limited to the following:
- Manual test execution
- Analysis of development work to perform tests centered around new features
- Analysis of customer issues to reproduce error and verify fixes for the field
- Creating & grooming of test cases and testing scenarios
- Building resources needed for QA work
- Provisioning resources for development and support work as needed
- Regularly reviewing UI and back-end function to verify product sensibility
- Researching and implementing edge cases and environmental conditions
- Researching specific technology options to help broaden test case coverage
- Developing and monitoring automation frameworks
- Polishing & packaging products and fixes for customer consumption
- Participation on Agile development teams to understand planned testing needs
- Reviewing and improving both internal and external documentation
A QA Test Engineer will generally have access to a wide range of technologies to be used in the overall manual test and test automation activities. QA engineers typically review issue management and test case systems for necessary work, perform deployments, build systems, configure storage platforms, and assess the quality/stability of software prior to release. Along the way, QA engineers are expected to explore the overall sensibility and performance of our software and escalate anything that might be confusing or complicated for our customers.
All QA engineers will be involved in manual testing efforts. Most QA engineers will be involved in provisioning resources for technical departments. Most QA engineers will be involved to review automated test results, analyze logs, and reproduce issues prior to escalation. Some QA engineers (depending on experience) will be involved in programming activities to improve, extend, and maintain our emerging QA automation systems and release engineering activities.
We are looking for a wide range of diverse skills and experiences to broadly cover the technologies that our products interact with.
We are looking for candidates having about 4-5 years experience, and specific experience with either storage platform QA or Backup & recovery software QA. This is an individual contributor role.
Excellent oral and written English language skills are desired. Must be comfortable with manual hands-on testing work, test case management, issue analysis & reproduction, defect tracking & reporting. Automation experience is a plus.
The ideal candidate will have a broad range of technology experience, but should have specialty in 2 or more of the following areas:
- Storage QA or administration experience: IBM Storwize, XIV, Pure, Netapp CDOT, Kaminario, HPE Nimble, Dell/EMC
- Data protection products and protocols: NDMP, tape library, Cloud integration
- Hypervisor experience: VMware, Hyper-V
- Server administration Unix, Linux, Windows server
- Strong preference for Oracle experience
- Application experience: SQL server, Oracle, SAP HAHA, Cache, Exchange
Broad knowledge in other areas are desired:
- Network administration: switch, firewall, router, security
- Container administration: Docker, Docker Swarm, Kubernetes, Podman
- Cloud administration: AWS, Azure, IBM COS, Google
- Python programming experience, REST API and Selenium web driver desired
- DevOps skills on release engineering, CI/CD, build automation, test automation
Technical aptitude is important here. We need someone who is smart, trainable, can read & follow (English language) technical documentation, and perform technical tasks including but not limited to: working with hardware, configuring storage, loading operating systems, interacting with software and web based applications, and running through complex test scenarios using our software.
Soft skills are important here. We desire coachable, positive-minded people. Critical thinkers that can try & suggest new methods of test management. Being detail oriented is very important. We need team players that can collaborate across teams and also work independently when needed. Customer interaction may be required at times.
Other non-technical tasks would include but not limited to: managing test cases, producing reports, reviewing customer issues, analyzing bug reports, constructing new test cases & plans, writing documentation, assisting with distributing software assets to partners & customers.
As work in this role progresses, you will be trained and gain experience in one or more technical areas, and will have opportunity to grow into areas of interest and skill. Training on enterprise equipment and our developed software solutions will be provided as needed.
Position is offered in our Pune, India office.
What tools we use:
- JIRA for issue and project management
- GitLab for code Versioning
- Confluence for documentation
- GitLab and Jenkins for builds and CI/CD
- Docker, Docker Swarm, Kubernetes
- AWS, COS, Azure, and other cloud providers
- Windows, Linux, UNIX
- VMware, Hyper-V
- Storage, Tape library, and physical server access as needed