QA Lab Engineer
- C-3, 101, Saudamini Complex, Paud Road, Right Bhusari Colony,, Pune, Maharashtra, India
Catalogic Software helps organizations worldwide catalog, protect, and manage their data. We are committed to delivering the industry's most intelligent copy data and data protection solutions.
This job description covers our products DPX and ECX. See the link above for high-level details on these products.
The QA Lab Engineer role fulfills the bulk of our organization’s daily hands on Quality Assurance testing and lab management. Vital to our QA efforts is expertise in loading and maintaining a variety of resources including virtual machines, physical machines, operating systems (Linux, Windows, AIX), storage platforms (IBM, Netapp, Pure), and automation frameworks.
This role is involved in a number of key responsibilities that include but are not limited to the following:
Our hands-on needs generally cover:
- Loading new operating systems and applications as needed
- Provisioning resources to QA, Developer, Support, Sales staff as needed
- Provisioning storage from arrays used for QA work
- Setup of networking, firewalls
- Tuning docker containers
- Troubleshooting automated testing frameworks
- Working with tape libraries
- Managing cloud services for QA work
- Troubleshoot, benchmark, and load test systems as needed
Candidates will be involved in our daily QA work which includes:
- Manual test execution
- Create tests centered around new features
- Analysis of customer issues to reproduce error and verify fixes for the field
- Creating & grooming of test cases and testing scenarios
- Regularly reviewing UI and back-end function to verify product sensibility
- Researching and implementing edge cases and environmental conditions
- Researching technology options to help broaden test case coverage
- Developing and monitoring automation frameworks
- Polishing & packaging products and fixes for customer consumption
- Participation on Agile teams to understand planned testing needs
- Reviewing and improving both internal and external documentation
A QA Lab Engineer will generally have access to a wide range of technologies to be used in the overall manual test and test automation activities. QA engineers typically review issue management and test case systems for necessary work, perform deployments, build systems, configure storage platforms, and assess the quality/stability of software prior to release. Along the way, QA engineers are expected to explore the overall sensibility and performance of our software and escalate anything that might be confusing or complicated for our customers.
All QA engineers will be involved in manual testing efforts. Most QA engineers will be involved in provisioning resources for technical departments. Most QA engineers will be involved to review automated test results, analyze logs, and reproduce issues prior to escalation.\
Some QA engineers (depending on experience) will be involved in programming activities to maintain and improve our emerging QA automation systems.
Candidates with 2-6 years of experience would be ideal.
Experience loading operating systems, server software, and using testing utilities to measure and troubleshoot is required.
Ideal candidates will have likely worked with a data protection, storage, networking, or other company. You will have a broad range of hands-on technology experience, but should have specialty in 2 or more of the following areas:
- Server administration Unix, Linux, Windows server
- Storage administration experience: IBM Storwize, XIV, Pure, Netapp CDOT, Kaminario, Nimble, Dell/EMC
- Container administration: Docker, Docker Swarm, Kubernetes, Podman
- Application experience: SQL server, Oracle, SAP HAHA, Cache, Exchange
- Data protection products and protocols: NDMP, tape library, Cloud integration
- Hypervisor experience: VMware, Hyper-V
- Network administration: switch, firewall, router, security
- Cloud administration: AWS, Azure, IBM COS, Google
- Utilities: wireshark, IOzone, Vdbench, Ansible, Gitlab, Concourse, Jenkins
- Python programming experience, REST API
- DevOps skills on release engineering, CI/CD, build automation, test automation
Not all of these specialties are required for all positions. In general, expertise in at least 2 and broad knowledge of other areas will be considered.
We are interested if you have some Python skills or have some experience in Python based test automation.
This job covers our ECX and DPX products. The position reports up to a common QA and IT department charged with maintaining and providing service to a fast paced software engineering company.
Technical aptitude is important here. We need someone who is smart, trainable, can read & follow (English language) technical documentation, and perform technical tasks including but not limited to: working with hardware, configuring storage, loading operating systems, interacting with software and web based applications, and running through complex test scenarios using our software.
Soft skills are important here. We desire coachable, positive-minded people. Critical thinkers that can try & suggest new methods of test management. Being detail oriented is very important. We need team players that can collaborate across teams and also work independently when needed. Customer interaction may be required at times.
Other non-technical tasks would include but not limited to: managing test cases, producing reports, reviewing customer issues, analyzing bug reports, constructing new test cases & plans, writing documentation, assisting with distributing software assets to partners & customers.
Additional duties: At least 1 candidate would be selected to take ownership of general IT responsibilities. Desire another candidate that can analyze and improve automated build systems, improve continuous integration and delivery, streamline test automation, review and improve development & code systems.
As work in this role progresses, you will be trained and gain experience in one or more technical areas, and will have opportunity to grow into areas of interest and skill. Training on enterprise equipment and our developed software solutions will be provided as needed.
Position is offered in our Pune, India office.
What tools we use:
- JIRA for issue and project management
- GitLab for code Versioning
- Confluence for documentation
- GitLab and Jenkins for builds and CI/CD
- Docker, Docker Swarm, Kubernetes
- AWS, COS, Azure, and other cloud providers
- Windows, Linux, UNIX
- VMware, Hyper-V
- Storage, Tape library, and physical server access as needed