Senior Locomotive Electrical Technician
- 519 Cedar Way, Oakmont, PA 15139, USA
Carload Express, Inc. is a leading shortline railroad and transportation company serving Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and the surrounding region. The heart of Carload Express is our four rail lines, the Allegheny Valley Railroad, Delmarva Central Railroad, Southwest Pennsylvania Railroad, and Ohio Terminal Railway. Well-situated on heavy commerce routes between the populous east coast and the industrial and agricultural heartlands of the rest of the U.S., our railroads offer professional, flexible service to a wide variety of customers.
We seek an analytical, detail-oriented electrician who is passionate about improving reliability and process improvement, takes ownership in their work, and is excited about the idea of “raising the bar” for the mechanical department to reduce locomotive downtime by training other employees on electrical maintenance processes. This position will be very hands-on, especially at first; but over time will be asked to develop routine maintenance processes and train other mechanical staff to improve the department’s overall electrical capability.
The successful candidate will be responsible for troubleshooting, repair & preventive maintenance of electrical systems and components for Carload Express’ locomotive fleet, which today is approximately 50 EMD locomotives based in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Delaware. This position will be based in Pittsburgh, and will require regular travel to Carload’s other locations.
This position will serve as the company’s senior technical resource for locomotive electrical and onboard systems, including EMD Dash 2 high- and low-voltage systems, ZTR HotStart, KickStart, and NexsysIIIi aftermarket systems, Wabtec iETMS Positive Train Control, Onboard Camera and GPS systems, Alstom UltraCab II cab signal, NRE nForce traction control, and similar systems. The candidate will serve as the Mechanical department first point-of-contact for PTC-related troubleshooting. The candidate will work directly on Carload’s locomotive fleet and assist other Mechanical department staff to ensure conformance with FRA and company specifications.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform required inspections, troubleshooting, repair and preventive maintenance to ensure that locomotive electrical systems conform to specifications and operate properly within design limits and intent.
- Complete inspection and repair reports according to company and FRA specifications and guidelines.
- Follow general safety rules, performs diagnostics, installation and repair of locomotive components to ensure proper operation and compliance with required federal and company specifications.
- Tests, installs and repairs system components including but not limited to: switches, heaters, air conditioners, DC power systems, event recorders, lights, water coolers, batteries, low and high voltage systems, traction motors, cooling fans, and fuel pumps, electrical rotating equipment, panel lighting, circuit breakers, regulators, etc. to ensure all function and equipment conform to required specifications.
- Troubleshoot, repair, install, inspect, calibrate and replace electrical high-voltage, mechanical, and electro-magnetic equipment, perform preventative maintenance on a variety of tools/equipment, and machinery to ensure proper function.
- Diagnose, repair, and replace electrical malfunctions in components including loading, charging, transition problems, wheel slip, sander circuits and high and low voltage grounds.
- Examine parts for wear and/or defects such as brushes contact tips, slip rings, armatures, diodes, bearings and fuses.
- Analyzes and able to correct faults related to inspection, troubleshooting, preventive maintenance and installation of locomotive equipment.
- Evaluate and select suppliers, manage costs and expenses pertaining to electrical components and projects, and make determinations when to outsource.
- Develop and maintain processes such as maintenance instructions, testing procedures, etc. and provide training to other staff as required.
- Assists in all other daily service, repairs and maintenance as required by supervision.
- Demonstrate a commitment to safety in own behavior and as an example to other employees, contractors or suppliers, and the general public.
- This position will be required to travel to locations away from home location, on a regular basis, in the eastern U.S. periodically to assist other Carload Express-managed companies with repairs and maintenance. Travel requirements may change over time.
- This position may be required to travel periodically for training classes at the discretion of management.
- Performs other duties as requested or required.
- High school education or general education development (GED)
- Requires 5 years job-related work experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Prefer previous railroad experience; will also consider power distribution, avionics, industrial electrical, or related electrical training & experience
- Able to read and understand FRA and company rules, specifications and guidelines. Able to legibly document items of non-compliance.
- A valid State Driver’s License is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Computer experience, particularly connectivity, diagnostics, and data downloads to industrial equipment such as locomotive event recorders, video camera systems, PTC systems, etc.
- Experience with diesel engines, turbines, generators, and/or other mechanical rotating equipment and demonstrating a desire to learn as required.
- 3+ years experience reading diesel engine manuals, locomotive electrical schematics, service bulletins, maintenance instructions and other related documentation for an EMD locomotive.
- Experienced with operational qualification of mechanical and electrical control systems to verify conformance to specifications on EMD locomotives using a variety of test equipment and procedures i.e.: gages, dial indicators, manometers, meters, insulation break-down test devices, specialized tooling and live system measurements, with an emphasis on electrical systems.
- Experienced using various testing equipment such as micrometer, dial indicator, gages, insulation test devices, voltmeters, megger, hi-potential, ohm-meters.
- Recognizing the appropriate application and use of hand tools.
- Recognizing various power tools, including drills, grinders, and air impact wrenches and their intended use.
- Ability to use cutting torches and / or welding helpful.
- Knowledge and skills in other railroad departments (railroad operations, general mechanical) is helpful but not required.
- Demonstrate an attention to detail and coordinate various activities simultaneously.
- Ability to operate various industrial equipment including forklifts helpful.
- Comply with instructions furnished in written, oral and schedule form.
- Read and comprehend published rules, procedure and manuals, inspection checklists, government regulations, operating and maintenance instructions, memos and other work-related information.
- Effectively communicate with co-workers, supervisors and associates in a clear, concise, courteous and professional manner.
- Ability to write legibly.
- All locomotive maintenance is performed outdoors, in all weather.
- While office space is provided in Pittsburgh; most of this position’s time will be spent outdoors.
- Up to 50% travel to specific Carload Express locations, with 25% travel being typical.
- This position reports to the Manager of Locomotive Maintenance.
- While performing the essential duties of this job, the employee may be regularly exposed to noise, chemical and petroleum products and odors, moving mechanical parts; weather elements and conditions; and high pressure compressed air. The employee may be frequently exposed to heat from equipment; small enclosed spaces. The employee is occasionally exposed to live mechanical systems and/or high voltage electrical systems while performing tests.
- Work safely in many different work environments to include but not limited to a locomotive repair shop, outside in all weather conditions, and in confined spaces on and around locomotives.
Carload Express is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse workforce.