- Harare, Harare, Zimbabwe
CARE began working in Zimbabwe in 1992 in response to severe regional drought and has since expanded programming to address longer-term development issues. Currently, an estimated 5.8 million people are facing severe food insecurity in Zimbabwe as a result of the human-made climate crisis.
The organisation seeks to recruit outstanding candidates who are known for their excellence, professionalism, integrity and who are committed to providing support to the country office. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply for the position posted below:
To ensure complete and accurate financial data, records and proper documentation are maintained by the Country Office (CO). S/He coordinates the processing of all financial data in the system in a timely manner to assist management in meeting donor compliance and other statutory requirements. S/He is a key participant in the management of the day-to-day financial operations at the country office level by coordinating activities including vendor payments, cash receipts, payroll journal entries, accruals and other adjusting journal entries as well as account reconciliations. S/He supports annual audit preparations including Project specific audits monthly cash flow planning and funds requests preparations including the required banking services
Key duties and Responsibilities
• Manages the Global accounts payables (AP) process working closely with the Shared Service Centre Global AP team, review performance of the country office and propose ways and means of improving country office`s accounts payable performance.
• Coordinates and supervise process of recording account payable and receivable transactions to vendors account in People soft and ensure payments are timely executed
• Reviews supporting document for all accounts payables entries to ensure validity, correctness and appropriate use of account codes and other required fields prior approval of the recorded transactions by budget holders
• Reviews and confirm payment selection after the pay cycle is run by shared service center and all payments initiated in the bank online system before they are submitted to approvers
• Reviews assets accounting and depreciation reports prior to period closing; assist admin staff with assets reconciliation.
• Prepares monthly amortization schedule for all prepaid expenses and ensure amortization is done before month end close
• Monitor accruals on monthly basis and ensure accruals are cleared within a reasonable time- within 3 months.
• Performs account quality controls prior to period closing, to include: accounts reconciliations (e.g. payroll reconciliations, sub-office reports review, sub-ledger reconciliations, etc.); review of accounts fluctuation to identify and address any unusual movements; generate and review reports to ensure accounting entries are properly created (e.g. asset depreciation, prepayment amortization,) etc.;
• Prepare all required payroll related accrual schedules including reconciliations and journal entries, for data entry in the financial system.
• Coordinate banking operations and maintain liaison with country office bankers as delegated by the Senior Finance Manager;
• Review bank and cash accounts reconciliations completed by shared service center and initiate necessary corrective actions before month end close
• Review the monthly finance activity report sent by shared service centre and ensure action is taken on all red flags.
• Supervise, direct and review the work of the Accounts Payable Analyst and Finance Assistants, and ensure appropriate segregation of duties and role clarity
• Participate in audit preparation and provide support to internal and external auditors;
• Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, Finance or Business Management or related field
• Certified Public Accountant, Chartered Accountant, Certified Management Accountant or other relevant accounting profession certification is desired.
• Minimum of 4-6 years’ experience in finance and operations in fund accounting/ large international NGO. with a minimum of 3 years at the senior leadership position.
• Ability to work effectively as part of office team and coordinate with a variety of stakeholders, maintaining harmonious and productive working relationships
• Excellent and demonstrable writing and communication skills
• Excellent facilitation skills to conduct training sessions for small, medium and large sized groups
• Excellent skills in computer applications