Cary Academy | Annual Fund Director
Cary Academy was established in 1996 as an independent, coeducation, college preparatory day school for students in grades 6 through 12. Located on 65 acres in the heart of the Research Triangle region of North Carolina, the school is intentionally student-centered and future-oriented in providing a traditional liberal arts program with cutting-edge pedagogical and technological techniques. It is a learning community committed to discovery, innovation, collaboration, and excellence. Curiosity is more than encouraged; it is required.
Manages Cary Academy’s comprehensive annual giving program with primary responsibility for strategic planning, implementation, and execution. Develops and executes a coordinated matrix of communication and solicitation strategies involving e-mails, direct-mail, phone, personal visitation and volunteer engagement focused on shaping a sustainable tradition of annual support for the CA Fund. Provides strategic direction and pipeline-building insight in the context of growing the annual giving program while supporting the greater development and campaign priorities set forth by the Head of School and Director of Development. Assists Director of Development with other Development office functions, overseeing the Development functions in absence of the Director.
- Plans, organizes, and oversees all fundraising efforts for the Cary Academy Fund including developing direct-mail and other fund-raising materials; recruits chairs and volunteer committee; coordinates phonathons; and oversees activities of volunteers to ensure a successful fundraising; ensures timely and frequent solicitations throughout the year.
- Uses research to identify capacity of donors and works to build relationships and increased giving of existing donors and prospects.
- Cultivates donors and promotes major gift opportunities. Calls, meets, and/or visits donors to increase CA Fund visibility.
- Works with Communications team to boost CA Fund web presence and keep CA Fund at the forefront of fundraising efforts by executing a variety of marketing and communication strategies.
- Ensures updated data is provided to the Database Specialist for entry into the database; writes acknowledgement letters, and coordinates mailings with Database Specialist.
- Works with the Business office to ensure that gifts and other Development transactions are properly handled, recorded, and tracked in accordance with tax regulations, generally accepted accounting principles and school policy. Consults as needed with CFO/Controller to ensure correct guidance is provided to donors.
- Performs basic financial and operational analysis and reporting for CA Fund. Assists in the preparation of special fund-raising projects as needed, which may require solicitation or targeted asks.
- Provides ongoing training and operational supervision to all Development staff. In the absence of he Director of Development, supervises all Development functions.
- Assists with other Development Office events, activities and initiatives as needed. Performs other projects and duties as assigned.
- Engages actively in the school’s diversity, inclusion, and anti-racism work in furtherance of Cary Academy’s commitment to equity and justice. In conjunction with manager, identifies and pursues ongoing professional development. Completes all required administrative, operational, and professional development tasks and activities in a responsive and timely manner per school operating policies and procedures. Performs other projects and duties as assigned.
The individual in this position is expected to:
- Work collegially with employees, parents and members of the Cary Academy and external community in a highly collaborative environment. Work effectively with vendors, contractors, and/or other business partners, professionals, and outside organizations.
- Maintain confidentiality and interact with students, parents, and employees as well as internal and external constituents with sensitivity and understanding.
- Perform position responsibilities in a professional manner that models and ensures a diverse, equitable, and inclusive learning and work environment and upholds the school’s commitment to its cornerstones (the mission, the vision, the values, the beliefs, the employee culture and the portraits of a teacher and a graduate).
- Maintain a commitment to ongoing professional learning and growth, including adapting to the ongoing usage of technology at Cary Academy.
- Meet the expectation of regular, predictable, and reliable attendance.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in related field.
Experience: Minimum of 3 - 5 years of development experience. Proven experience and success with an annual fund, direct marketing and special events planning. Knowledge and experience using Microsoft Office and database CRM software. Previous work at an independent school and prior leadership/managerial experience preferred.
Equivalency: Directly related experience or a combination of directly related education and experience may be considered in place of the above requirements.
Cary Academy has retained Capital Development Services to conduct a national search for this position. Candidates must provide a cover letter, resume, and list of three references. All materials will be kept confidential. Additional inquiries may be directed to Jen Tozier at [email protected].