Seasonal Material Handler / Forklift Operator
- 1850 Colonial Pkwy, Norwalk, IA 50211, USA
Since 1949, Capital City Fruit has been delivering exceptional fresh produce with exceptional customer service. The mission of Capital City Fruit is to source, pack, and deliver exceptional fresh produce When you want it, Where you want it, How you want it. We are a 3rd generation family owned and operated business with professional leadership and a plan to build upon our growth of the last 70 years. Capital City Fruit was named among the 2017 Top Workplaces in Iowa by the Des Moines Register! Learn more about us at http://www.capitalcityfruit.com/.
Capital City Fruit has a well-regarded reputation in the industry (Business Character Award from Red Book, an industry credit rating publication). Company Culture is a unique combination of a small family business and a professionally run corporation.
We are looking to hire a seasonal, full-time Material Handler in our Production department!
The Production Material Handler will retrieve, store and manage pallets of produce, packaging supplies, and materials efficiently in the Production department. This will include frequent operation of hand jacks and Stand up forklifts to enable material movement and transferring in three high selective racking and three high push back racking setups. As well as other misc. tasks as directed by a supervisor such as packing specialty items, manipulating custom software, utilizing RFID scanners, cleaning coolers, or general housekeeping, etc. They will also work as a Packer or Line feeder in the absence of Material Handler duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Bring product to lines in a timely manner as required.
- Assist in line transitions from one product to another.
- Be aware of locations of raw product and supply items.
- Dump bulk produce onto conveyor line for grading and sorting
- Weigh cartons on scale to insure proper weight of product
- Place cartons on pallets for shipment
- Manually accurately track lot numbers of materials used – using basic math calculations
- Operate electric and manual hand jacks and standup fork lift (following proper training)
- Retrieve pallets from three high selective and push back racking setups.
- Assist with warehouse cleaning at the end of the shift
- Using custom software/RFID scanning (after proper training)
- Dump trash and produce waste into proper receptacles
- Separate palletized product by color and grade per DIQ specs.
Occasionally assist in other areas including:
- Sort produce according to physical condition, sort by size and color of the product
- Pack produce into cartons according to customer specifications
- Feed packed produce into the wrapping machine to prepare for shipment
- Unload bulk produce or palletized produce from semi-trucks
- Fold boxes by hand
- Assist in running glue machine to make boxes
- Must follow Good Manufacturing Practices, Occupational Safety Procedure and all Food Safety guidelines related to the position or being on the Warehouse floor.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Experience with pallet jacks and standup forklifts – at least 6 months
- Must have certification or be able to pass for certification within 1 week of hire.
- Experience with selective and or push back racking with heights up to three levels.
Ability to verbally communicate effectively and professionally; and read and write in English,
Ability to perform basic math calculations – add, subtract, multiply and divide
This position requires the mental capabilities to analyze produce and grade/sort according to customer demands. Attention to detail is a must. Logical thinking, the ability to manage multiple tasks and common sense are also necessary to accomplish tasks.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to:
- Lift and carry weights ranging from 0 to 25 pounds with frequency
- Occasional lifting and carrying weights ranging from 26 to 60 pounds.
- Occasional bending, kneeling, crouching and stooping
- Frequent standing
- Occasional operation of equipment
- Occasional sitting, climbing and reaching above shoulder height
- Frequent repetitive hand movements/grasping
- Good vision, corrected to normal
- Good hearing, corrected to normal; or ability to communicate/understand required information and to perform job duties
- Ability to be mobile throughout required work areas
Anticipated hours per week: 40 - 50 (Hours are cyclical based on product demand and overtime may be required)
The environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
General warehouse conditions exist. Moderate temperature conditions. Minimal exposure to cooler temperatures (38 degrees Fahrenheit). Minimal exposure to elements or chemicals. Extended hours may be required. Exposure to moving equipment/machinery. The working conditions may include moderate noise levels.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.