General Maintenance Technician
- 1850 Colonial Pkwy, Norwalk, IA 50211, USA
Since 1949, Capital City Fruit has been delivering exceptional fresh produce with exceptional customer service. The mission of Capital City Fruit is to source, pack, and deliver exceptional fresh produce When you want it, Where you want it, How you want it. We are a 3rd generation family owned and operated business with professional leadership and a plan to build upon our growth of the last 70 years. Capital City Fruit was named among the 2017 Top Workplaces in Iowa by the Des Moines Register! Learn more about us at http://www.capitalcityfruit.com/.
Capital City Fruit has a well-regarded reputation in the industry (Business Character Award from Red Book, an industry credit rating publication). Company Culture is a unique combination of a small family business and a professionally run corporation.
General Maintenance Technician/Mechanic will conduct general maintenance and repair of the physical plan and all equipment. This includes the maintenance and repair of the utility systems (water, electric, air conditioning, refrigeration units) but with an emphasis on the electrical side of the facility.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Troubleshoot and perform preventative and repair maintenance (PM) on equipment. Make necessary repairs and adjustments on machines based on discoveries in an efficient manner to minimize downtime and maximize equipment efficiencies.
- Calculate and size proper electrical installation of breakers, motors, and circuits with the ability to efficiently install conduit and its associated wiring.
- Maintain and repair compressor units for coolers
- Make minor repairs to air conditioner and furnace as directed
- Conduct general maintenance of the physical plant [including grounds and parking lot]
- Report all safety deficiencies to the Facilities Manager
- Operate forklifts (following proper training)
- Operate electric and manual hand jacks (following proper training)
- Assist the Maintenance Contractor as required
- Monitor temperature control of facility
- Assist Facilities Manager with food safety compliance
- Maintain production machinery and emergency equipment according to established schedules
- Complete maintenance work orders assigned – based on computer-based system
- Complete all necessary paperwork in a legible and accurate manner as well as complete necessary online work orders, forms and generation of corresponding reports.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- High School Diploma or GED
- 2 years of hands-on experience in related trades [10 preferred]
- Knowledge and ability to perform advanced mechanical maintenance and repairs
- Must possess basic knowledge of electrical and refrigeration systems
- Must work in a safe manner and comply with all state and federal OSHA regulations
- Knowledge and ability to operate machinery and equipment in accordance with safety procedures
- Knowledge and ability to implement all safety procedures in accordance with established policies and procedures
- Ability to work daily and overtime as required
- Ability to interpret and work from oral and written instructions
- Ability to move throughout the warehouse, including continuous physical effort
- Ability to perform basic math calculations
- Ability to work in extreme temperatures (both hot and cold)
- Ability to assist in other areas as required
- Must be able to follow specific maintenance schedules for production machinery and emergency equipment
Ability to read, analyze, communicate and interpret effectively with Capital City Fruit staff.
Mental capabilities to learn, comprehend, and communicate both orally and in writing. Logical thinking, the ability to manage multiple tasks and common sense are also necessary to accomplish tasks. This position requires the mental capabilities to analyze mechanical deficiencies and to make the correct repairs. Organizational skills are also necessary to determine when preventative maintenance should be concluded.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Anticipated hours per week: 40-50 (Hours are cyclical based on product demand and overtime may be required).
Work Week: Sunday – Thursday (Friday – Saturday)
Hours: 7:00 AM – 3:30 PM
Pay Range: $15.00 - $20.00 / hour based on experience
- Lift and carry weights ranging from 0 to 50 pounds with frequency
- Occasional lifting and carrying weights ranging from 50 to 75 pounds (with assistance)
- Frequent bending, kneeling, crouching, stooping, crawling and climbing ladders
- Frequent standing
- Occasional operation of equipment
- Occasional sitting and reaching above shoulder height
- Frequent repetitive hand movements/grasping
- Good vision, corrected to normal
- Good hearing, corrected to normal; or ability to communicate/understand required information and to perform job duties
- Ability to be mobile throughout required work areas
The environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
General warehouse conditions exist. Occasional exposure to extreme temperatures (above 90 degrees Fahrenheit; below 0 degrees Fahrenheit). Occasional exposure to elements or chemicals. Frequent exposure to outdoor conditions. Extended hours may be required. Exposure to moving equipment/machinery. The working conditions may include moderate noise levels.
The Company offers an attractive and competitive compensation package consisting of a base salary, incentive bonus opportunity, health benefits, 401k plan and other benefits. Assuming outstanding performance on the individual’s part, the successful candidate will have opportunities to assume broader responsibilities and participate in greater incentive bonus opportunities.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.