- 1850 Colonial Pkwy, Norwalk, IA 50211, USA
Since 1949, Capital City Fruit has been delivering exceptional fresh produce with exceptional customer service. The mission of Capital City Fruit is to source, pack, and deliver exceptional fresh produce When you want it, Where you want it, How you want it. We are a 3rd generation family owned and operated business with professional leadership and a plan to build upon our growth of the last 70 years. Capital City Fruit was named among the 2017 Top Workplaces in Iowa by the Des Moines Register! Learn more about us at http://www.capitalcityfruit.com/.
We are looking for a full-time Dock Assistant to join our team!
The Dock Assistant will prepare produce for shipment and load/unload product as it enters and departs through the warehouse. This position may assist in the grading, sorting and packing of produce for shipment according to customer demands.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Unload bulk produce or palletized produce from semi-trucks
- Load bulk produce or palletized produce onto trucks
- Gather produce, based on pick tickets, stage pallets for loading
- Operate forklifts (following proper training)
- Operate electric and manual hand jacks (following proper training)
- Prepare and monitor product inventory
- Wrap full pallets to prepare for shipment
- May Assist in the Following [Dock Packing]:
- Grade produce according to physical condition of the product
- Sort produce by size and color
- Pack produce into cartons according to customer specifications
- Weigh cartons on scale to insure proper weight of product
- Place cartons on pallets for shipment
- Assist in training new employees in the area
- Assist with warehouse cleaning throughout the shift
- Dump trash and produce waste into proper receptacles
- A hat or hairnet, smock and gloves are required to be worn
- Must follow Good Manufacturing Practices, Occupational Safety Procedure and all Food Safety guidelines related to the position or being on the Warehouse floor.
Pay Range: $12.00 - $13.00 / hour based on experience
Schedule: Sunday - Wednesday, Friday (10:00 AM - 6:30 PM or until job is done)
Days Off: Saturdays and Thursdays
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- High School Diploma
- Ability to read and interpret Pick Tickets
- Ability to perform basic math so work can be recorded
- No need for dock or packaging experience, but would be preferred
Ability to read, analyze, communicate and interpret effectively with Capital City Fruit staff and customers. Ability to respond to common inquiries by supervisor.
Some independent decision making and problem solving abilities are required to complete orders as well as assist staff and customers. Ability to perform basic math calculations.
Mental capabilities to analyze produce and grade and sort according to customer requests. Logical thinking, the ability to manage multiple tasks and common sense are also necessary to accomplish tasks. Ability to interpret and work from oral and written instructions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to
- Lift and carry weights ranging from 0 to 25 pounds with frequency
- Occasional lifting and carrying weights ranging from 26 to 75 pounds
- Occasional bending, kneeling, crouching and stooping
- Frequent standing
- Consistent walking
- Frequent operation of equipment
- Occasional climbing and reaching above shoulder height
- Frequent repetitive hand movements/grasping
- Good vision, corrected to normal
- Good hearing, corrected to normal; or ability to communicate/understand required information and to perform job duties
- Ability to be mobile throughout required work areas
The environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
General warehouse conditions exist. Moderate temperature conditions. Minimal exposure to cooler temperatures (38 degrees Fahrenheit). Minimal exposure to elements or chemicals. Extended hours may be required. Exposure to moving equipment/machinery. The working conditions may include moderate noise levels.
The right person in this position:
- Can significantly impact the growth and development of the business
- Will be a part of a very experienced team
- Will be a part of a company that is long-standing, healthy, and growing
- Will work in a brand new 82,000 square foot facility built in 2012
- Can work for a company that is progressive and fun
Capital City Fruit has a well-regarded reputation in the industry (Business Character Award from Red Book, an industry credit rating publication). Company Culture is a unique combination of a small family business and a professionally run corporation.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.