- 22253 W Southern Ave, Buckeye, AZ 85326, USA
Canam Steel Corporation is a major US manufacturer of open web steel joists and steel deck. The company participates in thousands of projects each year ranging from large distribution centers and high rise projects, to small retail centers. The steel joist business in the US dates back to 1986 as a partnership with Canam Group and our steel deck business was launched by an acquisition of the United Steel Deck brand in 2010. The Corporation currently operates six fabrication facilities, several sales and engineering offices, and employs approximately 800 people across the United States.
This position is responsible for design engineering for steel joist products and technical support for metal deck. Supervise design staff to complete design submittals and shop fabrication documents consistent with specifications, schedules, and company requirements. Coordinate design activities with other departments, including sales, purchasing, drafting, project management, and production.
- Design or check steel components to ensure individual members and welds meet requirements of applicable specifications and codes (SJI, AISC, AWS, SDI, etc).
- Review product design for compliance with engineering principles, company standards, and customer contract requirements, and related specifications
- Meet departmental objectives as set in conjunction with the value stream objectives.
- Provide technical assistance to current and prospective customers, as well as estimation and sales personnel.
- Provide engineering expertise to outside sales office and potential clients in the usage of joists and deck and related products.
- Responsible for design costs relative to estimated costs.
- Prepare work schedules and expedite workflow in order to meet customer and shop work schedules.
- Coordinate engineering department activities and needs with purchasing, project management, drafting, and production.
- Resolve shop and field quality issues, and provide as-built analysis for load changes.
- Problem solve and identify gaps between estimates and final design.
- Assist subordinates in performing duties.
- Implement and enforce all company rules and regulations.
- Provide corrective actions concentrating on improving the quality and efficiency of department and division, and participate in site wide continuous improvement activities.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies, practices and applicable laws.
- Monitor employee performance; build and maintain the team; coach members for top performance.
- Maintain a positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in an effective manner with customers, co-workers, clients, and supervisors.
- Bachelor degree (B.S.) in Civil Engineering (specializing in structural engineering).
- Ability to operate specific computer software.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience.
- Professional Engineering registration and ability to obtain licenses in additional states.
- Possess effective and efficient verbal and written communication skills.
- Creative approach to problem solving
- Experience in panelized wood roof/joist systems preferred.
- Demonstrate leadership skills.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret technical procedures, applicable codes, governmental regulations, drawings and job specifications.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.