California State Affairs Analyst (HYBRID)
The California Independent System Operator (ISO) manages the flow of electricity across the high-voltage, long-distance power lines that make up 80 percent of California's power grid. We safeguard the economy and well-being of 30 million Californians by operating the grid reliably 24/7.
As the impartial grid operator, the California ISO opens access to the wholesale power market that is designed to diversify resources and lower prices. It also grants equal access to 25,865 circuit-miles of power lines and reduces barriers to diverse resources competing to bring power to customers.
The California ISO's function is often compared to that of air traffic controllers. It would be grossly unfair for air traffic controllers to represent one airline and profit from allowing that company's planes to go through before others. In the same way, the California ISO operates independently—managing the electron traffic on a power grid we do not own—making sure electricity is safely delivered to utilities and consumers on time and reliably.
The California ISO is committed to the health, safety, and work/life integration of it employees and is proud to offer flexible work arrangements. This position would be eligible to participate in a hybrid schedule.
Relocation Assistance is available.
Under the general direction of the Director, State Affairs, the State Affairs Analyst (Internal title) supports department in the tracking and analysis of California energy policy issues and strategic outreach to the Governor’s office, state legislature, environmental community and business groups. Works with department and other divisions at the ISO in a dynamic environment to identify key issues and develop outreach efforts that strengthen relationships with strategic partners, drive successful outcomes and protect ISO operations. This position will contribute to the preparation and submittal of documents, reports and correspondence to all levels of ISO management and staff, as well as external stakeholders to ensure appropriate engagement in ISO processes and initiatives. This position will also facilitate various meetings and site visits, develop quarterly reports, manage ISO board-related matters and ensure department business continuity.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Tracks state and federal legislation, assigns internal legislative inquires to ISO SME’s and manages/contributes Bill analysis for State Affairs.
- Manages monthly reports to the ISO Board of Governors and drafts state legislative update portion for Director, State Affairs review.
- Develops emergency on-call schedules for State and Regulatory Affairs divisions.
- Manages the emergency on-call rotation, develops and maintains emergency response handbook w/ Capitol, Governor’s office and relevant state agencies contacts, and coordinates internal State Affairs Business Continuity Plan.
- Researches and works with Lead, Legislative Affairs Specialist to develop responses to legislative inquiries.
- Acts as internal liaison to other ISO department staff and performs daily responsibilities to ensure the Director and staff are aware of legislative updates and important events.
- Collaborates with ISO subject matter experts to develop responses to legislative inquiries; monitors, prioritizes and analyzes bills that impact ISO operations, follows legislative proceedings and prepares legislative reports, and crafts talking points, as required.
- Maintains emergency contact information for members of the Legislature, Governor’s office, and state agencies. Coordinates the State and Regulatory Affairs on-call schedule, distribution lists, and Business Continuity Plan in preparation for effective outreach during normal and emergency system conditions.
- Supports Director of State Affairs in managing the ISO Board of Governors Senate Rules Committee confirmation process: works with appointees in a dynamic environment to facilitate multiple responses to the Committee often with competing deadlines, anticipates key issues and compiles comprehensive briefing materials accordingly, fields questions and resolves developing issues, and liaises with Committee staff to schedule pre-hearing meetings.
- Shares ISO news with the Legislature, governor’s office, business and environmental community.
- Responsible for providing background research for Director and Senior Management on current policy proposals, which may include the provision of legislator bios, PPT slides, coordinating external briefings with ISO SMEs, etc. This may also include bill analysis, fact sheets, summaries of ISO initiatives or briefing documents for external use.
- Provides background research for legislative inquiries.
- Prepares communication to the state legislature on system emergencies.
Level of Education and Discipline:
A Bachelor's degree (BA, BS) or equivalent education, training or experience in Public Policy, Economics, Business, or related field.
Amount of Experience:
Equivalent years of education and training, plus two (2) or more years related experience.
Type of Experience:
Exposure/understanding of energy policy development, regulatory processes and knowledge of the energy industry.
Additional Skills and Abilities:
- High caliber organization and multi-tasking skills.
- Comfortable working and communicating with a diverse workforce that includes executives, management, legislative consultants, environmental groups and others.
- Strong verbal and written communication and documentation skills required, with an exceptional level of attention to detail.
- Ability to use deductive reasoning and analytical thinking with sound judgment and decision-making skills.
- Must be self-starting and willing and able to work independently in a fast-paced, dynamic corporate organization under pressure of tight, and often competing, deadlines.
- Problem solving skills with the ability to influence others without direct authority.
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment as facilitator and team member.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and SharePoint.
The pay range for this role is between $38.65 - $64.42 per hour.