Real Time Market Operator
- 250 Outcropping Way, Folsom, CA 95630, USA
The California Independent System Operator (ISO) manages the flow of electricity across the high-voltage, long-distance power lines that make up 80 percent of California's power grid. We safeguard the economy and well-being of 30 million Californians by operating the grid reliably 24/7.
As the impartial grid operator, the California ISO opens access to the wholesale power market that is designed to diversify resources and lower prices. It also grants equal access to 25,865 circuit-miles of power lines and reduces barriers to diverse resources competing to bring power to customers.
The California ISO's function is often compared to that of air traffic controllers. It would be grossly unfair for air traffic controllers to represent one airline and profit from allowing that company's planes to go through before others. In the same way, the California ISO operates independently—managing the electron traffic on a power grid we do not own—making sure electricity is safely delivered to utilities and consumers on time and reliably.
Under the general direction of the Market Operations Coordination Group, the Real Time Market Operator operates, monitors and controls the Day-Ahead and Real-Time markets managed by the California ISO, consistent with NERC Reliability Standards, WECC Regional Reliability Standards, applicable ISO Tariff and procedures to ensure the safe and reliable operation of the ISO controlled grid. Creates and maintains accurate reports and logs of system operations. Develops and monitors key metrics that focus around Operator interactions in the Day-Ahead and Real-Time markets. Work with Operators and Internal/External partners to develop best practices and improve efficiencies.
What's In it for You
Our purpose is to lead the way to tomorrow's energy network. Make a difference and impact millions of people who depend on electricity in their everyday lives.
- You get to work on interesting and challenging assignments that will help grow your skill set.
- You will work in an extremely collaborative environment inside our LEED certified Folsom, California campus.
- You will be challenged, be a part of a winning team, and your contributions will be rewarded and recognized.
What You Will Be Doing
- Assists California ISO Balancing Authorities (BA) and Energy Imbalance Market (EIM) entities in interpreting market outputs and correcting modeling errors in the Real-Time market.
- Reviews market related Operator actions, market results, unit commitments and binding congestion results.
- Sets up Operator related inputs to the Day Ahead market and analyzes and communicates the results.
- Performs global real-time market functions as required by the CAISO BA and EIM entities.
- Responds to abnormal market events and notifies affected entities of status.
- Updates daily reporting, issue tracking and turnover documents.
Typical Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
- Must be able to work rotating shifts, typically rotating days and nights, and may be required to work extra shifts, and/or irregular hours, including holidays and weekends to ensure 24X7 coverage.
- The position is a 12-hour work day.
Level of Education and Discipline
- An associate's degree (AA, AS) or equivalent education, formal training program or experience in Electrical Engineering, Science, Economics, or Business Administration.
- Bachelor's Degree strongly preferred.
Amount of Experience
- Equivalent years of education including formal training, plus three (3) or more years of related experience.
- NERC Balancing, Interchange and Transmission certification required.
- Reliability Coordinator certification strongly preferred.
Type of Experience
- Electric system operations, power flow studies, electricity marketing and/or trading, scheduling or other similar energy-related experience required.
- Customer service experience strongly preferred.
- Experience in California BES operations, EIM operations, or other major WECC transmission grid or equivalent experience required.
- Experience in a combination of the following areas:
- Substation System Operator
- System Dispatcher
- Real-time Operations
- Pre-scheduling and Generation
Additional skills and abilities
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment as facilitator and team member.
- Excellent analytical, verbal and written communication and documentation skills required, with a demonstrated attention to detail.
- Ability to use deductive reasoning and analytical thinking with sound judgement and decision-making skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills are also essential.
- Must be self-starting and willing and able to work independently in a dynamic corporate organization under pressure of tight deadlines and aggressive expectations. Self-motivated, problem solving skills and the ability to influence others without direct authority.
- Must be able to demonstrate good judgment and perform under emergency and high-pressure situation.
- Must be confident and demonstrate the ability to be assertive when necessary.
- Requires knowledge of algebra, geometry, principles of electrical and mechanical theory, AC and DC theory, fundamentals of power flow, and LMP markets.
- Proficiency in MS Office and industry specific automated tools.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.