Regional Affairs Associate
- 250 Outcropping Way, Folsom, CA 95630, USA
The California Independent System Operator (ISO) manages the flow of electricity across the high-voltage, long-distance power lines that make up 80 percent of California's power grid. We safeguard the economy and well-being of 30 million Californians by operating the grid reliably 24/7.
As the impartial grid operator, the California ISO opens access to the wholesale power market that is designed to diversify resources and lower prices. It also grants equal access to 25,865 circuit-miles of power lines and reduces barriers to diverse resources competing to bring power to customers.
The California ISO operates independently—managing the electron traffic on a power grid we do not own—making sure electricity is safely delivered to utilities and consumers on time and reliably.
Under general direction of the Senior Manager, Regional Affairs supports division in the examination of western policy issues and strategic outreach to stakeholders throughout the West. Works with all divisions of the ISO to align outreach efforts to drive outcomes that reflect the importance of regional coordination in the West. This position will assist in the preparation and submittal of documents, reports or correspondence to regional regulatory or industry organizations as well as development and implementation of an outreach strategy to facilitate timely, robust and appropriate stakeholder engagement in ISO processes impacting the region. This position will also assist in facilitation of an organized governance structure to support the ISO’s regional activities by managing various meetings, quarterly reports, and assorted administrative tasks.
What's In It For You?
- An opportunity to work on interesting and challenging assignments involving the mathematical and economic analysis of the California ISO markets.
- You will play a key role in the strategic vision of the California ISO.
- Join an innovative organization that is working hard at keeping its reputation as a leader in the energy industry!
Your Work Would Consist Of:
- Regularly monitor and report on relevant western legislative and regulatory proceedings where state action may impact the work or goals of the ISO. This position will also maintain current inventory and technical knowledge of key regional initiatives and proceedings.
- Coordinate with Communications division to ensure up-to-date information on the ISO and EIM websites, presentations, social media and other outreach materials.
- Support new stakeholders by providing background information, education and follow up with them to ensure engagement and participation.
- Support efforts to incorporate feedback from external stakeholders and policy leaders to effectively respond to their concerns or questions. This will take coordination with departments throughout the ISO to align messaging and direction. . Ensure that important documents, reports, and presentations are organized, can be found quickly and are up to date.
Level of Education and Discipline:
- A Bachelor's degree (BA, BS) or equivalent education, training or experience in Public Policy, Economics, Business or related field.
Amount of Experience:
- Equivalent years of education and training, plus two (2) or more years related experience.
Type of Experience
- Exposure/understanding of energy policy development, regulatory processes and knowledge of the energy industry
Additional skills and abilities
- High caliber organization and multi-tasking skills.
- Comfortable working and communicating with a diverse workforce that includes executives, mid-management personnel, community representatives, and others.
- Strong verbal and written communication and documentation skills required, with a demonstrated attention to detail.
- Ability to use deductive reasoning and analytical thinking with sound judgment and decision-making skills.
- Strong interpersonal and conflict resolution skills are also essential.
- Must be self-starting and willing and able to work independently in a dynamic corporate organization under pressure of tight deadlines and aggressive expectations.
- Problem solving skills with the ability to influence others without direct authority.
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment as facilitator and team member.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.