Lead Client Representative - Electricity Markets
- 250 Outcropping Way, Folsom, CA 95630, USA
The California Independent System Operator (ISO) manages the flow of electricity across the high-voltage, long-distance power lines that make up 80 percent of California's power grid. We safeguard the economy and well-being of 30 million Californians by operating the grid reliably 24/7.
As the impartial grid operator, the California ISO opens access to the wholesale power market that is designed to diversify resources and lower prices. It also grants equal access to 25,865 circuit-miles of power lines and reduces barriers to diverse resources competing to bring power to customers.
The California ISO's function is often compared to that of air traffic controllers. It would be grossly unfair for air traffic controllers to represent one airline and profit from allowing that company's planes to go through before others. In the same way, the California ISO operates independently—managing the electron traffic on a power grid we do not own—making sure electricity is safely delivered to utilities and consumers on time and reliably.
Under the general direction of the Manager, ensures that all Client Representatives fulfill their role as the primary point of contact for transactional issues between the ISO and its stakeholders/customers. Leads, initiates and coordinates resolution to issues related to business operations, market transactions, ISO contracts, scheduling, real time operations, metering, settlements, ISO Tariff compliance, and information technology. Identifies and leads business process improvements and self-help customer capability to improve customer responsiveness and the overall customer experience. Drives quality and consistency for all customer interactions.
What's In it for You
Our purpose is to lead the way to tomorrow's energy network. Make a difference and impact millions of people who depend on electricity in their everyday lives.
- You get to work on interesting and challenging assignments that will help grow your skill set.
- You will work in an extremely collaborative environment inside our LEED certified Folsom, California campus.
- You will be challenged, be a part of a winning team, and your contributions will be rewarded and recognized.
What You Will Be Doing
- Provides superior customer support and is responsible for assessing and expanding customer care, including support to the Real-Time Operators. Responsible for continually evolving the customer support model to meet the dynamic needs of customers and the ISO. Analyzes data and interviews internal and external customers to improve customer service, including self-help capability and customer communications. Acts as primary point of contact for transactional issues between the ISO and its customers and stakeholders. Researches, analyzes, and coordinates resolution of customer’s market, business and operations issues with a focus on quality, timely resolution. Builds internal expertise on business processes and solutions and engages with SME’s as necessary. Supports the corporate strategic plan objectives of enhanced pro-active monitoring and outreach, improved responsiveness and quality of issue resolution. Responsible for identification and elimination of root causes of incoming issues with a strategic focus on larger impacts, reputation of the ISO and proactive outreach. Leads Client Representatives in development and monitoring of Customer Service metrics to improve responsiveness and for data analysis. Provides leadership to the Client Representatives and directs work of team members, including assisting in prioritization of daily tasks. Works in conjunction with other Leads to ensure department issues are resolved effectively and efficiently.
- Leads, supports and develops the evolution of the ‘Area of Expertise’ applicable to each Client Representative. Develops processes and documentation for internal and external self-help capability (i.e. Knowledge Articles) and education of customers and stakeholders. Responsible for leading the maintenance of issue management and knowledge management tools from planning through implementation. Accurately captures detailed subject matter expertise (within area of experience) to designs plans and processes with the intent of expanding the knowledge base. Coordinate and refine answers to complex questions while proactively engaging the ISO more effectively and help customers perform their business in accordance with ISO Tariff and Operating Procedures. Continually develops collegial relationships and maintains a high standard of excellence in external and internal customer care.
- Leads, develops, and supports the on-going evolution of the customer support model in collaboration with Account Managers to continually address the dynamic business needs. Coordinates proactive outreach efforts, communications and issue resolution with Account Managers as applicable. Leads, monitors and refines Customer Service, Scheduling Coordinators and internal ISO business work flow and processes as it pertains to the business unit, to improve and enhance process efficiency. Ensures department processes and procedures are accurately captured and followed. Gathers information pertaining to issues and presents solutions to management to mitigate and maintain positive client relationships. Participates in the development and review and distribution of stakeholder communications to ensure accurate messaging and content. Responsible to act as an Account Manager for customers that may not have an account manager or in absence of existing account manager.
- Customer Experience Manager Back-up Support: Provides leadership, guidance and strategic vision in absence of team manager. Handles potential customer escalations with regards to communications with senior leadership and external needs. Leads efforts to gather data, analyze findings and promote issue resolution across the division and the organization. Develops goals and action plans in line with strategic initiatives to promote customer care within company. Champions customer service and provides a customer perspective throughout the ISO.
- Provides guidance, sets daily work assignment priorities for staff as needed. Identifies staffing needs and mentors, coaches and trains staff to optimize the team. Provides feedback to management regarding staff performance in support of the performance evaluation process. May participate in department hiring activities such as interviewing and providing feedback on candidates' technical qualifications.
- May function as a Department Manager and is accountable to Manager for actions taken in Manager's absence. May be granted additional supervisory authority based on department needs and/or consistent with departmental succession planning
- This position will be required to participate in a rotating On-Call schedule.
Level of Education and Discipline
- A Bachelor's degree (BA, BS) or equivalent education, training or experience in Business, Engineering, Political Science, or related field. Master’s Degree preferred.
Amount of Experience
- Equivalent years of education and training, plus six (6) or more years of experience
Type of Experience
- Client representative and customer service experience required.
- In-depth knowledge of one of the following areas required:
- ISO market design
- Grid operations
- Familiarity with ISO operations and settlements policies and procedures.
Additional skills and abilities
- Ability to quickly assimilate new information and grasp complex market interactions and interdependencies.
- Demonstrates fundamental management and leadership skills with the ability to work effectively in a team environment as a leader, facilitator and team member.
- Ability to provide practical and feasible solutions to problems, keeping multiple conflicting considerations into account.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and writing skills required.
- Excellent analytical skills are required, including the ability to effectively communicate complex technical materials and concepts in a non-technical manner.
- Must be able to handle a dynamic and changing work environment, and work independently.
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Self-motivated, problem solving skills and the ability to influence others without direct authority.
- Ability to effectively use databases.
**We will also consider applicants for a Sr Client Representative position. This position requires a Bachelor's degree (BA, BS) or equivalent education, training or experience in Business, Engineering, Political Science, or related field and five (5) years of experience. Master’s degree preferred.**