Director, Operations Engineering Services
- 250 Outcropping Way, Folsom, CA 95630, USA
The California Independent System Operator (ISO) manages the flow of electricity across the high-voltage, long-distance power lines that make up 80 percent of California's power grid. We safeguard the economy and well-being of 30 million Californians by operating the grid reliably 24/7.
As the impartial grid operator, the California ISO opens access to the wholesale power market that is designed to diversify resources and lower prices. It also grants equal access to 25,865 circuit-miles of power lines and reduces barriers to diverse resources competing to bring power to customers.
The California ISO's function is often compared to that of air traffic controllers. It would be grossly unfair for air traffic controllers to represent one airline and profit from allowing that company's planes to go through before others. In the same way, the California ISO operates independently—managing the electron traffic on a power grid we do not own—making sure electricity is safely delivered to utilities and consumers on time and reliably.
Under the general direction of the Vice President, manages the day-to-day operations and staff responsible for performing power system studies, outage studies, providing technical direction to dispatchers, real-time operations, regional transmission and market operations. Directs real-time support for operations, oversees the development of real-time operational tools, and makes recommendations through the investigation and analysis of operational problems and procedures. Provides general management, direction, and development of employees in the Department. Responsible for identifying issues, developing solutions, and participating in committees on the ISO's behalf.
What You Will Be Doing
- Manages the day‐to‐day for the Operations Engineering Services operations and staff. This include day‐to‐day operation of Operations Planning (Resource Adequacy, Outage Coordination, Operations Planning), as well as Reliability Coordination, Day Ahead and Real Time Reliability and Market Operations Engineering.
- Responsible for providing broad direction and guidance, identifies training needs, coaches and gives feedback on employee performance, develops staff performance plans, makes recommendations with respect to the hiring, firing, advancement, promotion or any other change in the status of direct reports, and performs related activities as appropriate
- Train, motivate and prepare the Operations Engineering Services team to perform and provide exceptional support and services to System Operations. This support and services include all functions described above.
- Coach and motivate Operations Engineering Services group to coordinate with the appropriate groups in the Infrastructure Development and Operations division to support the reliable & successful interconnection of transmission and generation infrastructure to the ISO controlled grid.
- Coordinate with Operations Readiness Team to ensure that all Transmission and Generation procedures are accurate, up to date, and are compliant with all appropriate NERC reliability standards
- Lead CAISO to be at the highest level of performance in the Western Region. Influence and set example for the Western Interconnection entities. Participate and influence the development of best practice operating process in supporting the Western Interconnection. Coordinate with numerous external agencies including NERC, WECC and FERC as well as neighboring systems on operational planning and preparedness, standards development, and operational practices and procedures.
Level of Education
- A Bachelor's degree (BA, BS) or equivalent education, training or experience in Electrical Engineering, with an emphasis in Power Systems strongly preferred.
- Master’s Degree preferred.
Amount of Experience
Equivalent years of education and training, plus ten (10) or more years related experience.
- Professional Engineering License desirable.
- Past or current NERC Operator certification desirable.
Type of Experience
- Experience within Power System Engineering, Operations, Transmission Planning or related field.
- Recent experience with an ISO/RTO or organization operating on the Bulk Electric System required.
- Intimate familiarity with advanced techniques in power systems analysis and market systems.
- Track record of thought leadership in the power industry.
- Ability to think strategically and devise solutions to problems in keeping with multiple considerations.
- Excellent leadership and management abilities with experience coaching and developing others.
- Must demonstrate sound judgment and critical thinking when making decisions.
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment as team leader, facilitator and team member.
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills required.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and writing skills required, including the ability to effectively communicate complex materials and concepts.
- Must be able to handle a dynamic and changing work environment, and work well independently.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.