Resource Management Analyst
- 250 Outcropping Way, Folsom, CA 95630, USA
The California Independent System Operator (ISO) manages the flow of electricity across the high-voltage, long-distance power lines that make up 80 percent of California's power grid. We safeguard the economy and well-being of 30 million Californians by operating the grid reliabily 24/7.
As the impartial grid operator, the California ISO opens access to the wholesale power market that is designed to diversify resources and lower prices. It also grants equal access to 25,865 circuit-miles of power lines and reduces barriers to diverse resources competing to bring power to customers.
The California ISO's function is often compared to that of air traffic controllers. It would be grossly unfair for air traffic controllers to represent one airline and profit from allowing that company's planes to go through before others. In the same way, the California ISO operates independently—managing the electron traffic on a power grid we do not own—making sure electricity is safely delivered to utilities and consumers on time and reliably.
Under the general direction of the Manager, this position works with customers and internal teams to bring new generation, transmission, and demand response resources into the Bulk Electric System as the industry works to expand and de-carbonize the power system. Will review and assist market participants and other electrical entities in registering for various programs and classifications, such as Demand Response, Use Limits and Hybrid Resources. Performs data analysis, provides recommendations, and implements solutions to help customers maintain appropriate resource, equipment and relational attributes in the ISO Master File used by numerous applications. Will collaborate and communicate both internally and externally to resolve issues.
What's In it for You
Our purpose is to lead the way to tomorrow's energy network. Make a difference and impact millions of people who depend on electricity in their everyday lives.
- You get to work on interesting and challenging assignments that will help grow your skill set.
- You will work in an extremely collaborative environment inside our LEED certified Folsom, California campus.
- You will be challenged, be a part of a winning team, and your contributions will be rewarded and recognized.
What You Will Be Doing
- Performs queries and analysis to validate and manage data for resource management and modeling activities, including interconnection implementation, full network model maintenance, resource and entity maintenance, business processes and associated procedures. Collaborates with internal and external resources to coordinate and implement solutions as required.
- Analyzes business processes, procedures and applications and recommends enhancements to improve efficiency and/or capabilities as required in accordance with tariff, customer needs and initiatives.
- Develops, documents and updates business requirements, queries, and designs to ensure efficient business operations following the software development and implementation process. Creates and runs queries and reports, extracts data, performs engineering analysis, and develops specifications for queries to support business needs.
- Performs data analysis and produce reports to communicate information as needed to internal business units, external entities and regulatory agencies.
- Supports corporate requirements including legal holds, records retention, and file migrations, as required.
Level of Education and Discipline:
- A Bachelor's degree (BA, BS) or equivalent education, training, or experience in Engineering, Business or related field.
Amount of Experience:
- Equivalent years of education and training, plus two (2) or more years related experience.
- Six sigma training desired.
Type of Experience:
- Experience managing relational databases.
- Experience with associated software tools/applications such as TOAD and SQL plus is required.
- Experience writing business requirements and processes to support the design and implementation of complex, integrated IT systems is preferred.
- Experience in the energy or electric utility industry and knowledge of related State and Federal regulations is desirable.
- Experience performing work associated with an independent system operator (ISO) organization in operations or equivalent experience is desirable including compliance with SOC1 requirements.
Additional skills and abilities:
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment as facilitator and team member.
- Strong analytical, verbal and written communication and documentation skills required, with a demonstrated attention to detail.
- Ability to use deductive reasoning and analytical thinking with sound judgment and decision-making skills.
- Strong interpersonal and conflict resolution skills are also essential.
- Must be self-starting and willing and able to work independently in a dynamic corporate organization under pressure of tight deadlines and aggressive expectations.
- Must be able to express technical concepts in a non-technical manner.
- Proficiency in MS Office (including Excel, Access, Word, Visio, PowerPoint, VBA) is required.
- Ability to understand and maintain SQL scripts or similar software code and algorithms, including code written by others, is desirable.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.