Sr Engineering Specialist
- 250 Outcropping Way, Folsom, CA 95630, USA
The California Independent System Operator (ISO) manages the flow of electricity across the high-voltage, long-distance power lines that make up 80 percent of California's power grid. We safeguard the economy and well-being of 30 million Californians by operating the grid reliabily 24/7.
As the impartial grid operator, the California ISO opens access to the wholesale power market that is designed to diversify resources and lower prices. It also grants equal access to 25,865 circuit-miles of power lines and reduces barriers to diverse resources competing to bring power to customers.
The California ISO's function is often compared to that of air traffic controllers. It would be grossly unfair for air traffic controllers to represent one airline and profit from allowing that company's planes to go through before others. In the same way, the California ISO operates independently—managing the electron traffic on a power grid we do not own—making sure electricity is safely delivered to utilities and consumers on time and reliably.
Under the general direction of the Director, is responsible for identifying, assessing and analyzing the impacts of existing and planned market design changes. Performs detailed economic and engineering evaluations including pricing, adequacy and network simulation studies, and detailed engineering review of optimization and algorithm methods. Responsibilities include the analysis of market outcomes to ensure results are consistent with an efficient and effective market design.
What's In It For You?
- An opportunity to work on interesting and challenging assignments involving the mathematical and economic analysis of the California ISO markets.
- You will play a key role in the strategic vision of the California ISO.
- Join an innovative organization that is working hard at keeping its reputation as a leader in the energy industry!
Your Work Would Consist Of:
- Responsible for detailed economic and engineering analysis of existing and future market design rules. Responsible for analyzing market results to ensure pricing and market outcomes are consistent with economic optimality object of the market design.
- Assesses market problems and decides on the analytical approach necessary to estimate the market impact of the problem. Uses economic and engineering models to market impacts and presents results in detailed reports subject to industry, regulatory and/or peer review.
- Provides technical and analytical expertise to the ISO and may provide expert witness testimony on subject matter.
- Develop methods, reports and automation of analysis where appropriate to streamline the production of important market metrics.
- Participates in market design and development efforts to identify new measures necessary to validate market results and finds opportunities to incorporate features to improve market performance. Develops business procedures as needed.
Level of Education and Discipline:
- A Bachelor's degree (BA, BS) or equivalent education, training or experience in Engineering, Economics or related field.
- Advanced degree preferred.
Amount of Experience:
- Equivalent years of education and training, plus five (5) or more years related experience.
- PE license preferred.
Type of Experience
- Experience required in a combination of the following:
- utility/power industry or regulatory, preferably in a similar ISO
- experience in system analysis and expansion
- regulatory, economic analysis, and data analysis experience
- experience with real-time applications.
- Experience with economics, market design, finance, or programming concepts desirable.
- Experience with advanced power system operations and principles, stability analysis, optimization techniques, California power transmission networks, or network modeling is desirable.
- Experience leading large analytical or economic projects involving various groups of specialists.
Additional Skills and Abilities
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment as facilitator and team member.
- Excellent analytical, verbal and written communication and documentation skills required, with a demonstrated attention to detail.
- Ability to use deductive reasoning and analytical thinking with sound judgment and decision-making skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills are also essential.
- Must be self-starting and willing and able to work independently in a dynamic corporate organization under pressure of tight deadlines and aggressive expectations.
- Self-motivated, problem solving skills and the ability to influence others without direct authority.
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex problems in the electric utility industry and ability to identify solutions to complex engineering or economic problems.
**We will also consider applicants for an Engineering Specialist position. This position requires a Bachelor's degree or equivalent education, training or experience in Engineering, Economics or related field and two (2) years of experience. Master’s degree preferred.**