Sr Market Engineering Specialist
- 250 Outcropping Way, Folsom, CA 95630, USA
The California Independent System Operator (ISO) manages the flow of electricity across the high-voltage, long-distance power lines that make up 80 percent of California's power grid. We safeguard the economy and well-being of 30 million Californians by operating the grid reliabily 24/7.
As the impartial grid operator, the California ISO opens access to the wholesale power market that is designed to diversify resources and lower prices. It also grants equal access to 25,865 circuit-miles of power lines and reduces barriers to diverse resources competing to bring power to customers.
The California ISO's function is often compared to that of air traffic controllers. It would be grossly unfair for air traffic controllers to represent one airline and profit from allowing that company's planes to go through before others. In the same way, the California ISO operates independently—managing the electron traffic on a power grid we do not own—making sure electricity is safely delivered to utilities and consumers on time and reliably.
Under the general direction of the Director, responsible for production activities related to default energy bids and opportunity costs using complex mathematical models and analyzing market processes. Provides guidance and analysis to other departments and external entities with the evaluation of production cost, default energy bids, gas dynamics, opportunity costs, and market and power systems operations. Participates in design and development efforts to ensure software business rules and processes comply with the ISO Tariff and FERC requirements.
What's In It For You?
- An opportunity to work on interesting and challenging assignments involving the mathematical and economic analysis of the California ISO markets.
- You will play a key role in the strategic vision of the California ISO.
- Join an innovative organization that is working hard at keeping its reputation as a leader in the energy industry!
Your Work Would Consist Of:
- Responsible for the production activities related to default energy bid calculations, including analysis of all components of the default bids, ensuring the accuracy of the inputs and calculation of the bids, and evaluating the impact on the market outcomes.
- Provides oversight on the default energy bid and gas price event business processes and performs analysis as needed to ensure the timely updates of input and changes to the logic of the default bid calculation.
- Evaluates adjustments to major maintenance adders requested by market participants using knowledge of production cost, generation models, market operations, resource operating characteristics, and price analysis.
- Calculates opportunity costs for gas-based units using mathematical profit-maximization models. Performs evaluation of negotiated default energy bids and opportunity costs as requested by market participants, adhering to the ISO Tariff and business practice manuals.
- Identifies and resolves implementation, design and integration-related problems or potential problems within assigned areas of generation and opportunity costs.
- Participates in market design and development efforts to identify new measures necessary to define opportunity costs for generating facilities. Develops business procedures and methods as needed.
Level of Education and Discipline:
- A Bachelor's degree (BA, BS) or equivalent education, training or experience in Engineering, Operation Research, Economics, Finance, or related field.
- Master Degree preferred.
Amount of Experience:
- Equivalent years of education and training, plus five (5) or more years related experience.
Type of Experience
- A combination of experience in any of the following disciplines required:
- utility/power industry, preferably in a similar ISO
- system analysis
- operations research
- production costs models
- regulatory & economic analysis
- data analysis or real-time applications development
- Experience in the support, development or implementation of computational methods of market or power system models.
- Exposure and experience with applied optimization principles and techniques, power system operations and market design.
- Strong mathematical analytical skills are required, including the ability to effectively communicate complex technical and mathematical materials and concepts.
Additional Skills and Abilities
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment as facilitator and team member.
- Excellent analytical, verbal and written communication and documentation skills required, with a demonstrated attention to detail.
- Ability to use deductive reasoning and analytical thinking with sound judgment and decision-making skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills are also essential.
- Must be self-starting and willing and able to work independently in a dynamic corporate organization under pressure of tight deadlines and aggressive expectations.
- Self-motivated, problem solving skills and the ability to influence others without direct authority.
**We will also consider applicants for a Market Engineering Specialist position. This position requires a Bachelor's degree or equivalent education, training or experience in Engineering, Operation Research, Economics, Finance, or related field and two (2) years of experience. Master’s degree preferred.**