Sr Grid Assets Maintenance Specialist
- 250 Outcropping Way, Folsom, CA 95630, USA
The California Independent System Operator (ISO) manages the flow of electricity across the high-voltage, long-distance power lines that make up 80 percent of California's power grid. We safeguard the economy and well-being of 30 million Californians by operating the grid reliably 24/7.
As the impartial grid operator, the California ISO opens access to the wholesale power market that is designed to diversify resources and lower prices. It also grants equal access to 25,865 circuit-miles of power lines and reduces barriers to diverse resources competing to bring power to customers.
The California ISO's function is often compared to that of air traffic controllers. It would be grossly unfair for air traffic controllers to represent one airline and profit from allowing that company's planes to go through before others. In the same way, the California ISO operates independently—managing the electron traffic on a power grid we do not own—making sure electricity is safely delivered to utilities and consumers on time and reliably.
Under the general direction of the Director of Grid Assets, works on complex assignments and acts as technical expert to department staff, and provides expertise in support of Grid Asset activities. Ensures the ISO is in compliance with the Transmission Control Agreement (TCA) and is responsible for the implementation and enforcement of the ISO Transmission Maintenance Standards with respect to transmission facility (stations and associated equipment) maintenance. Responsible for the administration of the Transmission Register, working with internal and external stakeholders to ensure the TR data is accurate. Supports the ISO planning process phase three competitive solicitation process.
What's In It For You?
- An opportunity to work on interesting and challenging assignments involving the mathematical and economic analysis of the California ISO markets.
- You will play a key role in the strategic vision of the California ISO.
- Join an innovative organization that is working hard at keeping its reputation as a leader in the energy industry!
Your Work Would Consist Of:
- Oversees the implementation and enforcement of the ISO Transmission Maintenance Standards. Conducts maintenance reviews of each PTO’s maintenance records and facilities. Analyzes results from the annual maintenance reviews, standard maintenance reporting system, and availability measures to identify any positive or negative trending, and makes appropriate recommendations to the ISO and PTOs that will result in overall improvements to grid reliability.
- Provides the primary administrative functions for the Transmission Register (TR) for internal and external stakeholders.
- Provides transmission line and substation expertise and joint oversight in implementing the CAISO Transmission Planning Process Phase III competitive solicitation process.
- Partners with and supports the Regional Transmission Engineering, Grid Operations, and others within the ISO to understand and resolve identified transmission facility related issues. Trains and mentors others concerning transmission facilities and their function. Resolves transmission facility maintenance related stakeholder issues.
- In partnership with the Director of Grid Assets, guides and sets goals to improve the functionality of the group and the overall department. Actively participates in staff meetings, and identifies improvements to department practices, policies and processes. Represents the ISO’s interests in public and industry forums.
- Ensures that Grid Assets remains in compliance with FERC, NERC and other regulatory requirements relating to transmission maintenance. Responsible for Grid Assets transmission facility compliance reporting requirements.
- Leads the Transmission Maintenance Coordination Committee (TMCC) in the absence of the Director of Grid Assets.
The position requires travel within the ISO’s footprint 3 to 5 times a year to inspect substation and high voltage equipment.
Level of Education and Discipline:
A Bachelor's degree (BA, BS) or equivalent education, formal vocational training, or experience in Electrical Engineering, Construction, Facility Operations, Maintenance or related field.
Amount of Experience:
- Equivalent years of education and training, plus five (5) or more years related experience.
- California Professional Engineering license or journeyman electrical worker in transmission line construction, maintenance or operations (or equivalent) preferred.
Type of Experience
- Experience in high voltage Transmission Facility Equipment and Transmission Facility Maintenance or directly related experience.
- Experience as a Superintendent, Foreman or Field Lead, running groups which are responsible for the managing and maintenance of field service equipment highly desired.
- Experience with California or other WECC transmission grid highly desired.
- Experience in evaluating and reviewing technical proposals to construct, own and operate transmission assets.
- Must be proficient in standard office computer applications including MS Word, MS Access and MS Excel.
- Experience or ability to learn and use other software applications including GIS mapping software applications desired
Additional skills and abilities:
- Demonstrates a thorough knowledge of the Transmission Control Agreement, ISO Tariff, and policy issues concerning transmission facility maintenance.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and to perform effectively in high-pressure situations while maintaining focus and calmness.
- Ability to provide timely professional assessments with limited information and/or assumptions, and to confidently act on decisions.
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment as a facilitator and team member.
- Excellent analytical, presentation, written, and verbal communications skills required.
- Must be able to explain technical information to non-technical audiences.
- Ability to understand diverse interests and negotiate with interested stakeholders to meet corporate objectives is also required.
- Must be able to handle a dynamic and changing work environment, and work well independently.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.