Reliability and Market Operations Engineer
- 250 Outcropping Way, Folsom, CA 95630, USA
The California Independent System Operator (ISO) manages the flow of electricity across the high-voltage, long-distance power lines that make up 80 percent of California's power grid. We safeguard the economy and well-being of 30 million Californians by operating the grid reliably 24/7.
As the impartial grid operator, the California ISO opens access to the wholesale power market that is designed to diversify resources and lower prices. It also grants equal access to 25,865 circuit-miles of power lines and reduces barriers to diverse resources competing to bring power to customers.
The California ISO's function is often compared to that of air traffic controllers. It would be grossly unfair for air traffic controllers to represent one airline and profit from allowing that company's planes to go through before others. In the same way, the California ISO operates independently—managing the electron traffic on a power grid we do not own—making sure electricity is safely delivered to utilities and consumers on time and reliably.
Under the general direction of the Manager, the Reliability and Market Operations Engineer Operations Engineer provides engineering support to Reliability Coordination as well as Real-Time Grid Operations and Market Operations. Responsible for establishing and updating the operating limits to the Grid, documenting the associated operating procedures to support the safe and reliable operation of the system and modeling the market impacts of transmission constraints. Participates in the development of ISO policies and methodologies associated with the reliable operation of the transmission grid and the efficient operation of the ISO market. This is a 24x7 rotating shift position.
What's In it for You
Our purpose is to lead the way to tomorrow's energy network. Make a difference and impact millions of people who depend on electricity in their everyday lives.
- You get to work on interesting and challenging assignments that will help grow your skill set.
- You will work in an extremely collaborative environment inside our LEED certified Folsom, California campus.
- You will be challenged, be a part of a winning team, and your contributions will be rewarded and recognized.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Providing on shift engineering support in 24X7 control room environment. Act as a point of contact for Operations Engineering, providing direct feedback to daily operational matters. Attend operations planning meetings to communicate current day plan and the next day plan.
- Develop operating requirements and instructions in the outage plans and operating procedures to adhere to the NERC Reliability Standards, other requirements in accordance with pre-established guidelines and systems’ physical limitations, as well as pre-existing policies, practices and procedures. Prepares and conducts operating studies and contingency analyses, including power flow, short circuit, stability, and post-transient analyses, to maintain reliable operation of the Grid.
- Models transmission constraints in the ISO market to ensure efficient market operations as well as reliable grip operations. Provides engineering support on model validation and abnormal market price investigations.
- Provides operations engineering support to ISO Divisions, and Departments as appropriate. Provides specific feedback and essential details relating to the ISO controlled grid and the control area to ISO management.
- May represent ISO Operations Engineering interest in applicable WECC and other industry meetings as assigned..
- •Assists in developing, implementing and documenting automated computer programs/tools, and other advanced analysis methods, to allow for comprehensive monitoring of operational performance of the transmission system and detection of transmission system problems.
Level of Education and Discipline
- A Bachelor's degree (BA, BS) required in Electrical Engineering; concentration in Power preferred.
- Master’s degree and/or Ph.D. preferred.
- NERC Reliability Authority (or System Operator) Certification required or must be able to obtain NERC Certification within six months of employment.
Amount of Experience
- Equivalent years of education and training, plus two (2) or more years related experience.
Type of Experience
- Experience conducting simulation and analytical studies of electric power systems including harmonic, transient stability and load flow analysis.
- Knowledge or experience with simulation programs such as EMTP, PSCAD/EMTDC, PSS/E, PSLF or SuperHarm desired.
- Electric utility industry experience including emphasis in any combination of the following:
- Operations Planning
- Real Time Operations
- Transmission Planning
- Electricity Markets
- Renewable Integration
- protection relays
- Familiarity with California Electric System or other portions of the WECC system desired.
Additional skills and abilities
- Excellent analytical, verbal and written communication skills with strong problem solving skills.
- Strong familiarity with Microsoft Office applications, including Access and Visio, is required.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and to perform effectively in high-pressure situations while maintaining focus and calmness.
- Ability to provide timely professional assessments with limited information and/or assumptions, and to confidently act on decisions.
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment as facilitator and team member.
- Must be able to handle a dynamic and changing work environment, work well independently and be self-motivated.
**We will also consider applicants for a Sr. Reliability and Market Operations Engineer position. This position requires a Bachelor's degree or equivalent education, training or experience in Electrical Engineering; concentration in Power preferred, and five (5) or more years of experience. Master’s degree and/or Ph.D. preferred.**