Enterprise Modeling System Engineer
- 250 Outcropping Way, Folsom, CA 95630, USA
The California Independent System Operator (ISO) manages the flow of electricity across the high-voltage, long-distance power lines that make up 80 percent of California's power grid. We safeguard the economy and well-being of 30 million Californians by operating the grid reliably 24/7.
As the impartial grid operator, the California ISO opens access to the wholesale power market that is designed to diversify resources and lower prices. It also grants equal access to 25,865 circuit-miles of power lines and reduces barriers to diverse resources competing to bring power to customers.
The California ISO's function is often compared to that of air traffic controllers. It would be grossly unfair for air traffic controllers to represent one airline and profit from allowing that company's planes to go through before others. In the same way, the California ISO operates independently—managing the electron traffic on a power grid we do not own—making sure electricity is safely delivered to utilities and consumers on time and reliably.
Under the general direction of the Manager of Enterprise Model Management, is responsible for activities related to the development and technical support of power systems modeling technologies, and performing model maintenance business processes. Performs software maintenance, testing, and support activities for power system and energy market data maintenance technologies. Collaborates with PMO, vendors, and internal stakeholders to plan and implement new system features and tools. Collaborates with Critical Systems support team to address system and user issues. Prepares and publishes associated technical and procedural artifacts for model maintenance systems users and support teams. This role engages with internal business units and technology teams to provide support for existing technologies and to develop and implement innovation solutions to improve model maintenance workflows and use cases.
What's In it for You
Our purpose is to lead the way to tomorrow's energy network. Make a difference and impact millions of people who depend on electricity in their everyday lives.
- You get to work on interesting and challenging assignments that will help grow your skill set.
- You will work in an extremely collaborative environment inside our LEED certified Folsom, California campus.
- You will be challenged, be a part of a winning team, and your contributions will be rewarded and recognized.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Participates in the Design, construction, implementation, administration, and technical support of enterprise data modeling systems and related business processes.
- Collaborates with other CAISO business units to collect and document business and technical requirements, including SDLC planning and design documentation, test plans and test cases, procedures, process flow diagrams, training materials, and use case diagrams.
- Performs technology systems administrative activities, including software patch testing and deployment coordination across multiple systems environments.
- Develops and implements unit test procedures and processes for data modeling related applications.
- Analyzes, supports, and resolves real- issues in a time sensitive environment.
- Performs time sensitive model update deployments to enterprise run-time systems.
- Engages with internal stakeholders and user groups to maintain and enhance the user experience with model data maintenance systems.
- Performs daily administrative tasks in support of department (e.g., setting up and coordinating meetings, disseminating department communications, and preparing technical documentation).
- Assists in the development and maintenance of the enterprise UML semantic model and profilers for systems integration payload models.
- Attends business meetings and collaborates with ISO colleagues to develop "best practices" policies and procedures, and to identify and resolve issues to help create a flexible and efficient organization.
Level of Education and Discipline
- A Bachelor's degree (BA, BS) or equivalent education, training or experience in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related field
Amount of Experience
- Equivalent years of education and training, plus two (2) or more years related experience.
Type of Experience
- Working knowledge of power systems and/or energy market data models and associated use cases in energy management and energy market systems and operations.
Experience with power systems and/or energy market data models.
Experience with Services Oriented Architecture (SOA), SQL language, and/or UML modeling concepts desirable.
Experience with database management using TOAD or similar is desirable
Additional skills and abilities
- Strong verbal and written communication and documentation skills required, with a demonstrated attention to detail.
- Ability to use deductive reasoning and analytical thinking with sound judgment and decision-making skills.
- Strong interpersonal and conflict resolution skills are also essential.
- Must be self-starting and willing and able to work independently in a dynamic corporate organization under pressure of tight deadlines and aggressive expectations.
- Problem solving skills with the ability to influence others without direct authority.
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment as facilitator and team member.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.