Forecast Model Analyst
- 250 Outcropping Way, Folsom, CA 95630, USA
The California Independent System Operator (ISO) manages the flow of electricity across the high-voltage, long-distance power lines that make up 80 percent of California's power grid. We safeguard the economy and well-being of 30 million Californians by "keeping the lights on" 24/7.
As the impartial grid operator, the California ISO opens access to the wholesale power market that is designed to diversify resources and lower prices. It also grants equal access to 25,865 circuit-miles of power lines and reduces barriers to diverse resources competing to bring power to customers.
The California ISO's function is often compared to that of air traffic controllers. It would be grossly unfair for air traffic controllers to represent one airline and profit from allowing that company's planes to go through before others. In the same way, the California ISO operates independently—managing the electron traffic on a power grid we do not own—making sure electricity is safely delivered to utilities and consumers on time and reliably.
Under the general direction of the Manager, participates in developing programs to track, evaluate, implement, and promote forecasting model evolution including production modeling on Short Term Forecasting using Big Data, Machine Learning, Numerical Weather Prediction Models, Artificial Intelligence, and Neural Networks. Develops and enhances energy efficiency models, demand response models, and other energy models and incorporates their impacts to the Short Term Load Forecast.
What's In it for You
Our purpose is to lead the way to tomorrow's energy network. Make a difference and impact millions of people who depend on electricity in their everyday lives.
- You get to work on interesting and challenging assignments that will help grow your skill set.
- You will work in an extremely collaborative environment inside our LEED certified Folsom, California campus.
- You will be challenged, be a part of a winning team, and your contributions will be rewarded and recognized.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Participates in the research, development, and implementation of new forecasting tools and interfaces. Assists with integrating and preparing large, varied datasets, specialized databases and computing environments, and communicating results.
- Collaborates on the enhancement of current or development of new tools using computer programming languages such as VBA, Python, Perl, etc.
- Evaluates potential inefficiencies in current procedures and proposes improvements.
- Develops and enhances energy efficiency models, demand response models, short term load forecast, wind forecast, solar forecast, and other energy models (i.e., plug in electric vehicles, distributive generation models) through the use of statistical, algorithmic, mining and visualization techniques.
- Coordinates and participates in Short Term Forecasting projects to implement new or enhanced features to production environments and/or applications.
- Conducts post-analysis to evaluate forecast accuracy.
- Stays abreast of forecasting developments within the research community as it pertains to energy demand, uncertainty, weather, and renewable forecasting.
Level of Education and Discipline
- A Bachelor's degree (BA, BS) or equivalent education, training or experience in Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Meteorology, Economics, or a closely related field.
- Master’s Degree preferred.
Amount of Experience
- Equivalent years of education and training, plus two (2) or more years related experience.
Type of Experience
- Desired programming languages
- Experience in Short or Long Term (Load, Wind, and/or Solar generation)forecasting using artificial neural network (ANN), Support Vector Machine (SVM), machine learning, and/or regression forecasting techniques.
- Open source project experiences that demonstrate programming, advanced mathematical, and machine learning abilities and interest.
- Experience showing application of statistics, advanced mathematics, simulation, software development, and data modeling to integrate and clean data, recognize patterns, address uncertainty, pose questions, and make discoveries.
- Experience in data management and scientific application processing, including data warehousing, workflow development, and automation.
- Research experience in Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, and Neural Networks (e.g. links to open-source work or link to novel learning algorithms) preferred.
- Knowledge and experience in electricity market designs and power system operations desired.
- Experience in forecast model technique, tuning, and demonstrated model improvements desired.
- Familiarity with Numerical Weather Prediction Models and aptitude for working with the statistical analysis of data and gridded atmospheric data sets.
- Familiarity with ITRON forecast model is preferred.
Additional skills and abilities
- Strong verbal and written communication and documentation skills required, with a demonstrated attention to detail.
- Ability to use deductive reasoning and analytical thinking with sound judgment and decision-making skills.
- Strong interpersonal and conflict resolution skills are also essential.
- Must be self-starting and willing and able to work independently in a dynamic corporate organization under pressure of tight deadlines and aggressive expectations.
- Problem solving skills with the ability to influence others without direct authority.
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment as facilitator and team member.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
**We will also consider applicants for an Associate Forecast Model Analyst position. This position requires a Bachelor's degree or equivalent education, training or experience in Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Meteorology, Economics, or a closely related field. Master's degree preferred.This is an entry level position and no experience is required.**